Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Mislocating CATV line

  1. #16
    Senior Member jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    438
    Years of Experience
    69
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    maybe it was an old americast cable before wow. I know people that work at wow and they tell me their locator in this area(elgin streamwood bartlett) sucks. I tell him every time at they should have hired me back in 2011 but went with the current crappy locator instead who is not locating their plant for your tickets. too bad so sad wow. next time you have a problem with wow call 630-536-3100 and ask for monty he is the construction supervisor in charge of the locators. he is out of the office in naperville off of diehl or just hit their shit and keep working.
    I had another job a few weeks ago up on Schaumburg and Park, digging right next to a WOW fiber, not marked. Neither was their coax. I know this cable I hit the other day was Comcast, though. Is this the area you work in?

  2. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    I had another job a few weeks ago up on Schaumburg and Park, digging right next to a WOW fiber, not marked. Neither was their coax. I know this cable I hit the other day was Comcast, though. Is this the area you work in?
    i do not work for wow. my last job was at turnkey network solutions working in northern IL locating windstream communications . we were laid off in november and am currently still out of work. i know streamwood though i live in elgin and do know the area you are working in. i can not believe that the wow locator did not even mark their fiber. the locator should be fired. watch out there are a couple pipelines crossing shcaumburg road a bit west of park av.

  3. #18
    Senior Member jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    438
    Years of Experience
    69
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    i do not work for wow. my last job was at turnkey network solutions working in northern IL locating windstream communications . we were laid off in november and am currently still out of work. i know streamwood though i live in elgin and do know the area you are working in. i can not believe that the wow locator did not even mark their fiber. the locator should be fired. watch out there are a couple pipelines crossing shcaumburg road a bit west of park av.
    We're off of Park and Schaumburg now, but we did have a watch and protect with the 8" gas main that runs through there. I'm curious if you're the same locator I met in Bensenville last year when I was working on that project.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    We're off of Park and Schaumburg now, but we did have a watch and protect with the 8" gas main that runs through there. I'm curious if you're the same locator I met in Bensenville last year when I was working on that project.
    on jefferson east of york in bensenville? where there was problems with the norlight? if so that was me

  5. #20
    Senior Member jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    438
    Years of Experience
    69
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    on jefferson east of york in bensenville? where there was problems with the norlight? if so that was me
    Yep, on Jefferson...you had a problem getting a signal from one way and had to go to a manhole a couple thousand feet away...I remember something about a buried manhole also. And the marks were all over the place, like whoever bored it couldn't keep the drill straight.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Yep, on Jefferson...you had a problem getting a signal from one way and had to go to a manhole a couple thousand feet away...I remember something about a buried manhole also. And the marks were all over the place, like whoever bored it couldn't keep the drill straight.
    you were doing a job for light tower/sidera right? yeah the hand hole or what ever it was was buried. the fiber spliced to mci on the north side of the road and the mci was in the old pipeline so windstream did not think it was going to be possible to have western dig it up just to ground the splice. atleast the ended up doing it after me telling them my marks were a couple feet of and it was going to get hit. after it got fixed, they reburied the tie point again and i still had to hook up almost 1 mile away but since they grounded the splice and or in the case, it worked perfectly.

  7. #22
    Senior Member jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    438
    Years of Experience
    69
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    you were doing a job for light tower/sidera right? yeah the hand hole or what ever it was was buried. the fiber spliced to mci on the north side of the road and the mci was in the old pipeline so windstream did not think it was going to be possible to have western dig it up just to ground the splice. atleast the ended up doing it after me telling them my marks were a couple feet of and it was going to get hit. after it got fixed, they reburied the tie point again and i still had to hook up almost 1 mile away but since they grounded the splice and or in the case, it worked perfectly.
    I was doing a job for the Village putting in their fiber. The Sidera contractor was a couple of weeks or a month after me. We went from Jefferson & Park going east to the PW and the Ice Arenas.


    Side note: I almost beat that ****ing MCI locators ass. That guy was a jag off and hardly knew what he was doing.

  8. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    189
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    ok i remember that job. i wasnt too worried about your job except for when you guys were going to cross over the windstream at park. i think going east you guys were going under the side walk or closer to it away from the windstream.

  9. #24
    Senior Member jayc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    438
    Years of Experience
    69
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by fiberlocator99 View Post
    ok i remember that job. i wasnt too worried about your job except for when you guys were going to cross over the windstream at park. i think going east you guys were going under the side walk or closer to it away from the windstream.
    Yeah, we paralleled Windstream only for a little bit before either it or we went under the road. I can't remember who crossed first. I remember it was largely aerial going down Jefferson St. But yeah, we were closer to the sidewalk and I believe Sidera went even further away from the curb and probably out of the ROW. That creek crossing was a small challenge - lots of interference and we actually lost signal for a few rods before we luckily came out right where we were supposed to be.

  10. #25
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,910
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    this is what I have learned about locating CATV.............................................. .................................................. ..........there is NO explanation for doing it right AND how !!!
    phoenix827 and second notice like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  11. #26
    Senior Member USIC1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Md. Va. Wv.
    Posts
    1,802
    Years of Experience
    na
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Personally I would have radio sweeped (aka safety sweeped) the area...Maybe marked the whole job with radio...That's why I m still locating these days... HA!!!Not... I always switched and walked areas such as described with radio... its so easy to motor around after hooking up to play it safe... Tv feeders scream on radio in most cases...
    second notice likes this.

  12. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    IN A VAN. DOWN BY THE RIVER !
    Posts
    68
    Years of Experience
    5
    Rep Power
    8

    Post Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Going around opening up AT&T peds and un-bonding cables might help, IF you have the time. I prefer to check CTV peds first and if there is no ground in ped, I will ground cables with spare ground rod and jumper. And, as a reminder.......unless the CTV locator also locates for AT&T, he/she is not authorized to open, examine, or otherwise tamper with any AT&T structure. Doing so could result in loss of employment, fines, prison or all of the above. And if the feds find out, things could get much worse....

    18 USC 1362 - Sec. 1362. Communication lines, stations or systems
    Whoever willfully or maliciously injures or destroys any of the works, property, or material of any radio, telegraph, telephone or cable, line, station, or system, or other means of communication, operated or controlled by the United States, or used or intended to be used for military or civil defense functions of the United States, whether constructed or in process of construction, or willfully or maliciously interferes in any way with the working or use of any such line, or system, or willfully or maliciously obstructs, hinders, or delays the transmission of any communication over any such line, or system, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.


    Just saying..........

  13. #28
    Mke
    Mke is offline
    Senior Member Mke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Republic of Washington
    Posts
    1,536
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    34
    Rep Power
    77

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Quote Originally Posted by second notice View Post
    Going around opening up AT&T peds and un-bonding cables might help, IF you have the time. I prefer to check CTV peds first and if there is no ground in ped, I will ground cables with spare ground rod and jumper. And, as a reminder.......unless the CTV locator also locates for AT&T, he/she is not authorized to open, examine, or otherwise tamper with any AT&T structure. Doing so could result in loss of employment, fines, prison or all of the above. And if the feds find out, things could get much worse....

    18 USC 1362 - Sec. 1362. Communication lines, stations or systems
    Whoever willfully or maliciously injures or destroys any of the works, property, or material of any radio, telegraph, telephone or cable, line, station, or system, or other means of communication, operated or controlled by the United States, or used or intended to be used for military or civil defense functions of the United States, whether constructed or in process of construction, or willfully or maliciously interferes in any way with the working or use of any such line, or system, or willfully or maliciously obstructs, hinders, or delays the transmission of any communication over any such line, or system, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both.


    Just saying..........
    It is actually against the law to "willfully" damage any utilitiy. The statute you just quoted just covers the communication lines that can get you federal charges.

    I have worked in the same area on and off for 12 years. I have maintained relationships with all the utilities to the point they let me have access to any of their underground facilities. Some will actually ask for assistance for marking depending on their situation. Most of the time, that statute that threatens trespassing for accessing their featured peds or vaults is used when assholes try to break into the features or take something out of the features. Locators don't quite wear badges stating who they are locating for, so you have to be doing something pretty retarded to be booted for accessing a can or two.

    mke
    daman1 and Cheddar like this.

  14. #29
    Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,312
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    102

    Default Re: Mislocating CATV line

    Exactly, you must damage something or interrupt service for the quoted statue to apply. Also the action must be
    'willful" having the intent to damage or interrupt service.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •