Thread: Metrotech 530-

Years of Experience
    na

Lightbulb Metrotech 530-

Now lets take a gander at this sucka-

http://www.metrotech.com/Uploads/products/530.pdf

I never realized metrtech had a comparable locator to the pipe horn...

Just realized this thing exists.. DA!?!?!

Now it doesnt describe if it has automatic gain or the second knob on the reciver is for some other use... It looks like a hearty prospect to try, but may not be very ergonomic if it takes two hands to adjust for gain unlike the thumb knob on the pipe horn...

Anyone else has knowledge of this locator???I might have to get one of these if it doesnt require 2 hand use... 332khz... not a bad frequency...Just a tad below the 480khz...

Not the kind of transmitter to use along the road or forget where you left it...
    Last edited by USIC1; June 20th, 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Metrotech 530-

We have 1 530, it works great, has a very light reciever -less than a pound, much easier to keep the gain adjusted properly, can be used with Metrotech direct connects and clamps, has a needle which helps you determine which is the better of two parralleling signals. Very good tool, but has all of the same bleedoff problems as the pipehorn. But that is the downfall of the frequency, not the equipment.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    na

Can the reciever be operated with one hand with ease???

Is it an automatic gain reciever or do you manually adjust one of those knobs???

Years of Experience
    na

Where the hell is Tbone!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you out there???

I need you to get on this!!!!

I feel like Carroll Oconnor discovering the breakthru in the enemy lines-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0F6jgoxPQ0

DAMMIT!!!

Wait til the fearless finds out about this???

Last edited by USIC1; June 20th, 2009 at 10:48 PM.

Years of Experience

Yes, I really like to use it, but am a Pipehorn guy to the bone. I grip it by the top and bottom, with the right side to my palm and use my pointing finger to adjust the fine gain adjustment knob. (Top One) The bottom knob is a rough gain adjustment with three positions Hi, Med., and Lo. I would spend most of my time working in Med gain unless the utility was shallow and then you would go to Lo gain. Very, very adjustable, requires much less coordination to use. It is light enough you won't end up with a popeye forearm. I didn't mention before that it has a good qualities of the pipehorn and is applicable in all of the same situations. All of the same negatives as well, minus the weight and the user friendliness. We train our guys on the 530 first, and then move them on to the pipehorn.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

And advance thinks i'm just a pretty face.....

Years of Experience

If any of you guys are interested, I can sell you one new, in the box for $675 including shipping. Factory list price is $875. I can also sell you the Metroclamp for this unit for $260 new in the box including shipping, clamp list price is $330. They are great units and a fantastic alternative to the pipehorn.

I guess the small package thing is due to the selection of just one freq. Id think that would be a risky tool to put new hires onto. Way to easy to be misled at 330 khz ! An experienced locator could use it, with a pretty small acceptance of error due to the signal bleed.

A 33Khz unit might be cool to have. Its gonna fail ya on a broken path though.

I think there's a case for the multi-freq boxes. Its not like the manuf's are *trying* to make em heavy like the 4000.. its just that's what it takes to keep ya fully informed. There's no magic bullet yet.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

You can have my Pipehorn when you pry it from my cold dead hands.
    I never have cared much for the styling of a straight wand. We used to have some of the Metrotech's but I could not get used to it after carrying around a pipehorn for so long. Some guys like it better, but it was not for me.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    I guess the small package thing is due to the selection of just one freq. Id think that would be a risky tool to put new hires onto. Way to easy to be misled at 330 khz ! An experienced locator could use it, with a pretty small acceptance of error due to the signal bleed.

A 33Khz unit might be cool to have. Its gonna fail ya on a broken path though.

I think there's a case for the multi-freq boxes. Its not like the manuf's are *trying* to make em heavy like the 4000.. its just that's what it takes to keep ya fully informed. There's no magic bullet yet.

Heres the problem- Nobody is putting all the right pieces together...

WHAT WE NEED GD-it!!! is lightweight(but with enough umph battery power wise)tranmitter/reciever, with 8khz, a midrange33khz or 45khz, and 480khz and passive and radio...And a switch for automatic or manual gain...

Also incorporate onto the transmitter (industrial strength) retractable clamp, and leads like a vaccum cleaner...Maybe even double sets of leads, for 2 different frequencys on to seperate facilities and/or the all function like the sure lock...

and lastly but not least- make sure there is an extended handle on the transmitter like the pipe-horn, so's I dont have to bend over to much...

ITS THAT SIMPLE!!!

I dont get these manufacturers???

Its like the engineers that design the engines, and compartments of automobiles, no consideration at all for how the service side has to play twister to perform service work...
    Last edited by USIC1; June 21st, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    If any of you guys are interested, I can sell you one new, in the box for $675 including shipping. Factory list price is $875. I can also sell you the Metroclamp for this unit for $260 new in the box including shipping, clamp list price is $330. They are great units and a fantastic alternative to the pipehorn.
    Why such discount ??? Overstocked, out of warranty, light use new,or brand new new???

I m curious since I may be interested... Also what transaction platform did you have in mind???

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Why such discount ??? Overstocked, out of warranty, light use new,or brand new new???

I m curious since I may be interested... Also what transaction platform did you have in mind???
    I am a Metrotech Dealer...See JAG Florida Ventures under the "Utility Locating Companies" tab in the links bar above.

I will make good discounts available to all "Viners" on all Metrotech Equipment. All equipment is Factory New, direct factory shipment from Santa Clara, CA, full factory warranty, NO refurbs, No "lightly used", ALL NEW.

From time to time I will have Demo Equipment that has been used by many and has reached a point where it is time to sell it. Such units are sent back to the factory and reconditioned, repaired if necessary and calibrated, then offered for sale at substantial savings over new.

Our website is http://www.jag-fl.com

Voice: (904) 395-5137 or 786-347-3457 Fax: 954-839-6691