Thread: mapping fresh new plant

Default mapping fresh new plant

CV posted recently about a fots hit in Boise that was new and may have not been on maps ( unknown at time of post, but good speculation)..

That got me wondering about how utils or one-calls do handle 'new' plant.

In our case (in-house telco), our dispatcher views the same root maps as the drafters work on. When a work order comes out to lay in something new, the drafters immediately put it on the maps in a red colour. It stays red until the work order comes back from the construction dept's as completed. So, when you see red on a map.. it might not actually be there, but maybe it is...better go and check to be sure (maybe it just got placed today ?).
    Yes, once in a while it wastes the locator's time, hunting around to make sure some red-lined cables arent actually there yet.. but it certainly prevents fresh new plant from being hit.

Do some utils provide you guys with this type of info ? Does it 'waste' alot of time ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Default Re: mapping fresh new plant

We are lucky to see it on prints within 6 months of the installation.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    30+

We only get the new prints or updates when the utility sends them or I find and draw them in. I know when the contractor installs the conduit and I will draw it in. My prints are on Goggle Earth and Map Point. I also have the engineers send me new plant as-builts as soon as the have them.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I am based out of our Engineering department and am involved with design as well as construction. we not only have access to the "As-builts" for any given project, but we have a GIS map that has most of the information on it. When we do a construction project, or install a single cable somewhere we have our Survey guys RTK the lines and its in our system that day, the GIS guys update that information over night, so we can actually have up to date information in our GIS system the very next day. The only hiccup in this is large on-going projects may take a bit to submit their "As-built" data, but their last pay check is based on the reciving of this information so typically we will have this data by the time the project reaches substancial compleation.

Part of our jobs here are to correct or get corrected any erroneous information that is on the GIS map.

Mke

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    CV posted recently about a fots hit in Boise that was new and may have not been on maps ( unknown at time of post, but good speculation)..

That got me wondering about how utils or one-calls do handle 'new' plant.

In our case (in-house telco), our dispatcher views the same root maps as the drafters work on. When a work order comes out to lay in something new, the drafters immediately put it on the maps in a red colour. It stays red until the work order comes back from the construction dept's as completed. So, when you see red on a map.. it might not actually be there, but maybe it is...better go and check to be sure (maybe it just got placed today ?).
    Yes, once in a while it wastes the locator's time, hunting around to make sure some red-lined cables arent actually there yet.. but it certainly prevents fresh new plant from being hit.

Do some utils provide you guys with this type of info ? Does it 'waste' alot of time ?

We pick up as builts from the gas company we locate for once and awhile but they're are the only ones that do anything. The phone , elec , catv and fiber do nothing except update their prints whenever they fell like it.
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt