Thread: locator certifications

Default locator certifications

i was just curious, is there any sort of locator licensing or certifications recognized by the industry as relevant or worthwhile in having? the only reason i ask is i've never heard of anyone having one but i did a google search and found several "locate courses" and just wondered if they would be worth looking into to better myself as a locator, or is the industry standard of a "proven locator" (so to speak) all about years of experience and hit records?
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Mke
    Years of Experience

Default Re: locator certifications

well.... I just went to one in January, and it was great for what it was, but I think the industry itself is lacking structure when it comes to Certification. The Course I took was accepted as industry accreditation to fill the requirements the one call laws enacted.

They should go over some basics, and have quite a bit of field time as well. They even had tons of industry toys to play with. I just wish there was a tiered course where Vets and noobs were taught at different levels, or at minimum specific courses that taught different pieces of equipment, but went towards a cumulative certification.

You know, something that will take into account years behind the reciever, as well as, teaching us what we would like to know, not just what the industry needs us to know.

I did enjoy the class I took. It was nice to sit in a class with like minded people talking about real world situations and learning from everybody's experiences. With that being said, I don't like the fact that there is no diferencing of certifications from someone with no experience, to someone with Tons of experience. This Bar is not unreachable, I don't expect there to be different levels for each year behind the wand. However, I don't think someone who has no experience in the field, and didn't understand the basic principals of the locating industry and had to be described how the typical one-call system works in minute details should get the same certificate that a 2 year tech, let alone a 10 yr tech gets.

Does that make sense? Or am I showing signs of the sleep deprivation?

mke

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    for each year behind the wand.

Hahahahah great term of endearment right there.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

As someone thats outside looking in, some things to consider. Does having a certificate or a license benefit you that do this every day? I could see a license coming, probably not a bad idea because of the responsibility. Annual refresher training in the form of some of these courses sounds likely. Whether there are levels of licensing based on experience sounds unlikely. I am looking at this compared to some of the fields I have worked in or am working in. I am an electrician currently, (apprentice, journeyman, master) and work for myself. I've also been an airline pilot, FO and captain. Hopefully if a license comes, it'll be a nationwide thing. Endless local licensing is a nuisance and more of a tax than anything else, like electricity flows differently state to state. Experience trumps a piece of paper any day. I could take one of these classes and be better for it, but still really not know squat. I probably will take one anyway so I have a better idea of how to use the piece of equipment I have spent a great deal of money on. I occasionally have to chase faults in underground electrical services that don't fall under the utility's responsibility.

Years of Experience

The way I see it.. just because your certified in something doesn't mean you can do it. That being said most of us know that you can't break a 10yr vets bad habits no matter how good they work. Most all of us probably have bad habits but some things have to be done. The reasoning behind the novice cert course is to get the vet recertified and the green Guy doing things the most logical and right way. In our company you can request personal training and a DI/Auditor will ride along with you and answer any questions or give any advise he can to give you better knowledge as a tech. This may be a little offcourse but we also have weekly safety meeting and get a few other certs as needed to do our jobs such as Safe Dig, Confined Space Entry, Confined Space Rescue, etc etc

All in all I think the best way to learn is from the more knowledgeable locator and your(as well as others mistakes).