Thread: Location Based Software

Default Location Based Software

hi ppl know any good programs that would allow me to see which cell towers are close to me and connect to them please?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Location Based Software

good luck with that!!! maybe usic1 knows!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Locating both sides of the road, so the chicken can bore underneath it...
    Years of Experience
    too many

Quote Originally Posted by Achild View Post
    hi ppl know any good programs that would allow me to see which cell towers are close to me and connect to them please?
    Do a google search on the internet for cellular tower location mapper and there are all sorts of databes and programs out there to choose from.

The one I use I paid 350.00 for, and is updated every 2 or 3 months.....
    "No, installing your fence is NOT an emergency"...

- or -

"It's call BEFORE you dig, not AFTER you've hit something."

Yes, my avatar does describe my attitude towards many others...

Ive seen where ppl post tower locations per provider on the net.

Dont forget tho.. each tower supports multiple channels.. and you'd have to have a channel map breakdown to determine if the channel you are on (typically available from your cell phone's 'info' menus) is indeed from the nearby tower,or you may be on a different tower nearby. If you had a directional antenna (external) on your phone, with some type of attenuation method.. you could force a jump to the closest tower.

What exactly are you trying to do ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

@locator_smbk i don't mind paying for it what is the name of the one you use? and does it work for gsm phones?
    @dave_72 i'm trying to be able to get the best signal when moving through areas and get the best handoff tower for my cell phone

btw you guys are so cool, thanks for the previous and continued replies

Ok, I see..
    Im not sure you can control that.

When a phone is routed from one tower site to another, there's a bunch of things that happen. The new channel has to be available and in a matching somethingorother (forget the name .. bank or something..). If you were to try and switch to a channel thats in a different 'bank', the call will be dropped. Its possible that a site can fully support all banks in all channels, but I think then they can run into overlap issues.
    Id think the best way to avoid signal drops is to know where your weak signal areas are, and avoid them.
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

wowwwwwwwwww......the next time i have a tricky question ...i'll know who to ask??? good job guys!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

ok cool, but is there a way to identify which towers my phone is in contact with though, i know the iphones can tell you, but i talking about basic gsm phones here, do u know of any software that can find that out?

Years of Experience
    too many

In most cases there is no specific way to identify which tower your phone is locked onto.

I know thw CDMA phones (non-GSM) there is a PRL file loaded into the phone that tells the phone which providers towers to look for in the evnt it cannot find your providers towers, and in what priority to look for them.

You can do a google search for your provider's PRL lists, as an example, you can search for T-Mobile PRL in google and look through the results you get.

I am with US Cellular, and I keep a very close eye on their PRL files that are posted on the net as soon as they come out. I can look to see what changes, if any have been made and where each of the other providers are on the list. It also tells me which providers partner with my provider so I don't pay roaming charges etc.

I know with CDMA phones you can dial *228 send and it should call your provider (no airtime charges too) and it will automatically update your roaming lists. I haven't messed with very many GSM phones, since I cannot stand GSM service, I hate it with a passion.

Most phones have a way for you to see what the PRL number is, example 10076. I know on the Blackberry phones you can dial #4357* SEND and it will show your network status PRL etc...

If you are having problems getting a steady signal to maintain good service, perhaps a PRL update will help.

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with cellular is the fact that just because you are sitting at the base of a cell tower doesn't mean your phone will lock onto that tower. As an example, lets say you are with PROVIDER A. You are sitting at the base of a cell tower but your phone has hardly any signal. The cell tower you are sitting at may be for PROVIDERS C D & E, but none of those partner with PROVIDER A for roaming and extended coverage. Yet, you drive 5 or 6 miles down the road to where another tower is in sight and your phone locks onto it and now has a full signal. This tower could be PROVIDER F that DOES partner with PROVIDER A.

The software I use is called Tower Location Mapper. There is a free version that runs online where you can search a 4 mile radius of an address of Lat/Long.

Most of the carriers license as their actual name, but some are different. Triton PCS is T-Mobile is an example. US Cellular in NC is licensed as North Carolina Cellular Telephone Company.

Hope this clears some of this up for you. I have been a cellular subscriber since all there was was the bag phone and you paid 45.00 a month with no package minutes....I've had a cell phone since 1993...

- or -

thanks much! will look into it and give you a response soon

i am trying to google this product but not finding it, can u provide a link please? that would be greatly appreciated

Years of Experience
    too many

Here is a link to the free version that operates on line, that allows you to search a 4 mile radius of an address.

http://www.antennasearch.com/
    or this one might help too
    http://www.cellreception.com/

When I get back to my other computer at home I will try to post a link for the bigger software package that you have to pay for.
    Last edited by locator_smbk; October 16th, 2009 at 09:05 AM.

- or -

hey thanks man, but these seem to be US based, i'm not from the US, are there any freeware programs where i might be able to start programming one then?

problem solved, thanks for the comments