Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Locating water lines - PVC

Years of Experience

Default Locating water lines - PVC

Is it possible to use leak detection like the Fisher stuff in combination with some sort of sound generator or knocking devices on the water outlet?

Fisher Liquid Leak Detectors

I know where all of the water outlets are. I just need a way to trace them back to the well. Any ideas? I have access to an old XLT-20 leak detection kit. My entire property is dirt, grass, and gravel. No concrete or asphalt.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating water lines - PVC

Why not go old school and use divining rods?
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Try tracing out the electric line to the well. Ninety percent of the time they are run with the water line from the well casing to the house.

Years of Experience

I have lines throughout 19 acres and about 45 homes on that acreage. I need a method with definitive results. Does anyone have experience with the leak detection gear? I want to know if it can be used to trace lines without leaks. I can turn on the water outlet at any single site and create that water flow which I believe would create noise to track.

Years of Experience

good luck with that bud !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    30+

Check out this site. I just seen this at the CGA Conference in Orlando, Fl for locating PVC, A/C pipe, sewer lines and a host of others.

SSI SubSurface Instruments - Advanced Magnetic, PVC Pipe, PE Pipe, Metallic Pipe, Cable Locators & Detection Technology

Years of Experience

Locatenoob this works but it has limited range call your local rd rep and he can demo it for you RD500 | Radiodetection | Product Detail

Years of Experience

UULC did you see this demo'ed I remember when it came out the results were laughable. only worked on a very few of the dozens of locate tries.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    UULC did you see this demo'ed I remember when it came out the results were laughable. only worked on a very few of the dozens of locate tries.
    I saw this demoed by a vendor. When he finished I told him it would make a better ice scraper. Hell it even looks like a ice scraper. He bragged about how good it was and could not find the line and the line was painted. He tired it on a 12 sewer line and found 2catv lines 12 inches apart. He got laugh back into his truck by a locate manager and a CCTV manager and a engineer and 7 locators. Funny as hell.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by locatenoob View Post
    I have lines throughout 19 acres and about 45 homes on that acreage. I need a method with definitive results. Does anyone have experience with the leak detection gear? I want to know if it can be used to trace lines without leaks. I can turn on the water outlet at any single site and create that water flow which I believe would create noise to track.
    I think you are going to find out there is no, "difinitive" method to find PVC water lines. No matter what equipment you use, you will have mixed results that are based on soil, pipe material, and pipe size. Alot of those acoustic locators have issues depending on the variables faced. I know that they make a system where they put a "thumper" on a hydrant and a valve and it taps loud enough you can follow the sound on Water mains for about 100'-200' depending on the soil. typically to the next hydrant or valve. The issues with this is that it may cause damage to the valve or feature you connect too.

Is this a basic subdivision where things are all built the same? Or is this like a campground where there is no typical way things were installed? If it is the latter, you may just be out of luck.

Although, you might try GPR depending soil and size of pipe. You may be able to get a difference in the soil from the trench of the water lines and fill in the peices that way.

Last but not least.... Where in WA are you? (Roughly, I don't want to be accused of stalking) I've done my fair share of locating in WA and may be able to shed some more light on the situation.

mke

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Orangeboots hit it on the head. The RD500 is your best bet.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I've demo'd this myself - its basically a density finder, and it 100% does make a better ice shield scraper.

Years of Experience
    a few

I have the AML and would say never buy one for retail prices but if you got one cheap they are useable to the point of using above where you are about to dig and if shows you something then proceed with more caution then you would have before using it. I have had it show me a signal and it was a root, I have had it show me a signal and it was a pipe, I have had it show me a signal and nothing was there lol.

Years of Experience

I did a job last week with a "private" (according to the City) 12" water main going into a condo building and the City wouldn't locate it. Broke out some witching sticks and located it myself (dug it up and found it too, about 6" away from where I put paint down). It was a DI main with rubber gaskets, didn't even try hooking up my locator to it. It worked though!

Years of Experience
    a few

here is one I just did the up turned V's from right to left are a 1" water line a gas line and another water line all plastic. These are under a sidewalk 2' plus. Not done with the AML lol
    my.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast