Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Locating water

Years of Experience

Default Locating water

What equipment do you find best over all for locating water. Considering replacements for some of our units.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Locating water

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    What equipment do you find best over all for locating water. Considering replacements for some of our units.
    If that isn't in the budget i'd go with an 810 or a Pipehorn.

mke
    UULC, yahoo and SubterraVT like this.

Years of Experience

Mke. I think we could find it with that. I am really looking to replace old equipment for our guys and looking at what you guys have used and worked best for you. That way I can get someone to demo for us. I took a position with a city in charge of locate division and want to update some old stuff.

Years of Experience

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Or a pipe and cable locator will work just as well. I locate water usually buried deeper than 7'-0" and haven't had much trouble with my equipment. If all else fails use the rods!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    Mke. I think we could find it with that. I am really looking to replace old equipment for our guys and looking at what you guys have used and worked best for you. That way I can get someone to demo for us. I took a position with a city in charge of locate division and want to update some old stuff.
    Retired, I would look to an 810 or a pipehorn. With water lines you really want a locator that can jump the joints and at the same time be able to induce when hookups are not convienent.

What type of equipment are you used to?

mke

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Metrotech 810, RD5000, McLaughlin G2 Verifier. All great instruments on water.
    headcipher likes this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

An RD7000 or 8000 is my ideal locator as they're both capable of using 200khz (if you need to jump across joins) If you're having difficulties and you know that it is a conductive pipe a Pipehorn could be quite effective but the downside to the Pipehorn is that it doesn't give a depth indication. Perhaps a cheaper option that isn't too bad would be a Vivax V-Loc 2 (i've used the V-Loc 1 and it's not very reliable.) But if all else fails.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails slide4.jpg  

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodHolman1990 View Post
    An RD7000 or 8000 is my ideal locator as they're both capable of using 200khz (if you need to jump across joins) If you're having difficulties and you know that it is a conductive pipe a Pipehorn could be quite effective but the downside to the Pipehorn is that it doesn't give a depth indication. Perhaps a cheaper option that isn't too bad would be a Vivax V-Loc 2 (i've used the V-Loc 1 and it's not very reliable.) But if all else fails.....
    a transmitter / receiver set with multiple frequencies is s must for a serious locator. The problem is new, inexperienced techs listen to the wrong people who tell them to always use the high frequency. Can't tell you the number of time I have gone to help a tech only to reset transmitter to the lower frequency and that solved the problem.
    SubterraVT likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodHolman1990 View Post
    There is no depth reading on the pipe horn, but there is ways to work around that. I've used the 8k, Vloc pro 2, pipe horn, and an 810 (i'm biased towards the 810).
    Between all those machines, i would take the last 2 hands down. It is not that the first two are bad locators and can't locate water, they can. It is just easier with the last two.

When in doubt....vactruck.jpg
    headcipher likes this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    a transmitter / receiver set with multiple frequencies is s must for a serious locator. The problem is new, inexperienced techs listen to the wrong people who tell them to always use the high frequency. Can't tell you the number of time I have gone to help a tech only to reset transmitter to the lower frequency and that solved the problem.
    I take slight issue with the statement about "a transmitter / receiver set with multiple frequencies is s must for a serious locator". Up untill last November I did not have said equipment and did just fine. I will be honest and state that there were a few situations where multi-frequency locator would of helped, but that does not deminish the fact that you can do just fine with a single frequency locator.....if you know how to use it.

What using a single frequency locator makes you do is learn how to position transmitters to get the best signal for you locate area, something that comes in handy when you move up the chain and start doing more difficult locates. To this date, we still use our 810 85% of the time for locates. The remaining 15% is picked up the the other locators we have. When you are locating through 18" of heavily reinforced concrete, having the option to lower the frequency is a god send. However, the ease of use of the single frequency locators saves time and effort. The three best locators I have ever met learned on and still use an 810 (they are in three different locales- Seattle-Idaho-North Carolina and all own their own companies)

Sorry if i'm passive aggressive on this, but I think a locator needs to know two things.... 1) how to locate 2) how to use the equipment

These are not mutually exclusive.

mke
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

All above said locators will work with training BUT...The most important... A probe rod and posthole diggers

Years of Experience

that's a tough question ....???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Boss Man View Post
    All above said locators will work with training BUT...The most important... A probe rod and posthole diggers
    I wonder how long it would take here to find the 6-8 ft deep h2o in soil so dense and rocky that we can't use gpr...

Years of Experience
    a few

Ridgid Seektech SR-20 if a larger city you can point it at the road and not get ran over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast