Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Locating in trench lines.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Locating in trench lines.

512 is not good frequency for beginners . start with 8 . and hook up at every ped locating everything out the ped to the next ped . take you time . you have all the time in the world to get it right . remember ...you the new guy .
    daman1 and Madcow101 like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Are you hooking up at that third ped or trying to push through it? Can you get to a point just past the problem area and locate backwards through it?
    Madcow101 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    If I'm reading this right you sound like you are trying to push a signal through a ped. Maybe i'm wrong. It's always best to locate from one ped to the next. Disconnect and then move your transmitter to the next ped and continue to locate. Sometimes you can push through a ped but usually it leads to bad locates and a waste of time.
    And where I mess up allot. The cable Was the last ped. My fiber disappeared after that. My coach found it and was annoyed. Can't blame him. We were all torn to spread from black berry bushes, it was 105 outside and he just was not having a newbers blaming his equipment. Not until he tried it anyways.

Years of Experience

If your trying to push through multiple peds then 512 and 8 will never cut it (unless everything is perfect with the bonding). If you need to push through peds, jump up to 33 and about 50% power. Yes bleed-over is something to watch, but watch your depth readings and you should be able to stay with your cable.
    Madcow101 likes this.

Years of Experience

I figured it out. I'm a certified tech now doing my time on small jobs. The day before we got turned lose another guy and I got to help locate by an international airport. Got in some manholes and everything was high profile. It really drove home how important compitition locators are. Made me glad to be locating cable drops at residential projects for swimming pools and stuff. I liking the company to. Good people so far and pretty understanding.
    TheCableVine, phoenix827 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    Are you hooking up at that third ped or trying to push through it? Can you get to a point just past the problem area and locate backwards through it?
    My biggest issue was freaking out when what I was taught didn't work. the biggest lesson i have learned so far is to not freak out when things dont go by the book. aswas mentioned in another response, I switched to 8, took a deep breath and had some water, hooked up again and had at it. the signal was way better with less bounce on my receiver. no hit either as they have dug it up and did what they had to do.

Years of Experience

Most locators are made in the field, not in the classroom no matter how much training. The guys here on the vine are great and you can pick up some great tips and tricks. You have a good mind to take a break, get some water and a juicy cheeseburger. You're almost guaranteed to come back with a better head and find a new way to tone a line. You just have to trust your equipment, your gut, experiences and keep trying different hookups. I do privates so don't really locate out of peds much, but FO lines can suck. Look for a tracer wire and I would direct connect and run an extension wire from the connection ped out to the next ped,to close a loop and isolate your target line, your chance of bleeding off should be very slim at that point. Always look to unbond inside a ped. Unbond in the next ped to isolate the length you are locating. You can try clamping around a FO, its either going to work well or not at all. Keep your head up and keep your enthusiasm up!
    phoenix827 likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12