Thread: Locating with Spar 300 system

Default Locating with Spar 300 system

Hi,

i wonder if anyone have expericene with the Spar 300 locating system, as i understand it works with a different technology than common locators, and they claim that system is "much more reliable" when it comes to locating, and they use lower frequenzes so they do not get so much bleedover to other utilities.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Locating with Spar 300 system

Googling Spar 300, maybe it's another Innspector Dustpan type instrument.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Spar 300 <---- Click Here
    I saw this at last years CGA Conference, it was presented by Michael Twohig of Woolpert. Interesting tool, but way over my head. And I was REALLY hung over, didn't help my understanding of its function one bit. It has a pretty specific use, not for the Contract or Production Locator at all. Intended more for the SUE/Survey side of things, which is Michaels expertise.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If I understand it correctly... and I may be completely wrong, it seems that the utility first needs to be located and then the coordinates entered into some database. The Spar 300 then locates the coordinates and therefore is locating the utility.

I would think that it would work in such a way that you could attach this to a backhoe and when the backhoe operator unknowingly attempts to dig into a utility the spar 300 would (if capable) shutdown the backhoe or disable it in such a way that it didn't dig into the utility.

Of course the utility would have to have been previously located and mapped for a system to be able to do something like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

I was looking thru the website and they were using a vivax to do the locate. This looks to be the same as the RD vector bar it doesn't locate it just verifies the signal

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    If I understand it correctly... and I may be completely wrong, it seems that the utility first needs to be located and then the coordinates entered into some database. The Spar 300 then locates the coordinates and therefore is locating the utility.

I would think that it would work in such a way that you could attach this to a backhoe and when the backhoe operator unknowingly attempts to dig into a utility the spar 300 would (if capable) shutdown the backhoe or disable it in such a way that it didn't dig into the utility.

Of course the utility would have to have been previously located and mapped for a system to be able to do something like this.
    Pretty close Steve. It is intended to be attached to a GPS receiver pole for very tight mapping of utilities as you locate them.

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Pretty close Steve. It is intended to be attached to a GPS receiver pole for very tight mapping of utilities as you locate them.
    Yes, thats what i intend to do, but i wonder if the SPAR system, is more accurate/reliable when it comes to depth/accuracy then example the Vivax which i am currently using, as i understand the Transmitter can be Vivax or RD or maybe something else, and then the SPAR receives thoose signals and make some triangulation calculation and caclulates the distance to the centre of the object i am locating, i have seen i need to add the diameter of the utility i am locating in the SPAR, and then the SPAR calculates towards the centre.

So is the SPAR receiver more reliable/accurate than the Vlocpro2 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Yes, thats what i intend to use it for, but i wonder if the actually locating receiver in the SPAR is a better/more relaiable when it comes to depth readings and also if its more accurate of actually locating the right utility than example the Vivax receiver. The SPAR system can receive from many different transmitters on the market as i understand. They call the locating technology for "fieldsense technology" and claim it to be better than conventional locating