Thread: locate by phone

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Default locate by phone

yesterday i located an irrigation valve that has been out of order and MIA for over a year in the state of washington, from home in california. I AM NOT A WITCH put the wood and fire away.

a friend of mine lives on bainbridge island and has a irrigation maintainence company, i loaned him a locator because he wasn't trusting his and walked him through the locate by phone.......sucessfully btw.

in the course of the locate we isolated several common wires and i had him take resistance tests on those wires. here's the gig

all tests were earth ground / single wire tests. black lead/earth - red lead/common wire

4 wires connected in box, 1 in 3 out. 1 wire tested .005 and that wire led to the valve, the other wires both tested 0 with continuity tone and are buried in the ground elsewere on the site, we did not chase them.

my question is how can i be getting continuity by touching an earth ground (screwdriver and a single wire on 1 end? i locate faults but i have never see this happen before.
    Last edited by 1idejim; March 23rd, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Years of Experience

Default Re: locate by phone

there are some guys on this forum that will have a good answer to that good question but i am not one of them.....good luck on getting an answer!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    lifetime

come on, somebody answer this riddle.

we know what we're reading, just want to know why?

i 've posted this thread in the electricians, locators and the irrigation forum, no answers yet

Years of Experience

Is the question why you get continuity on your locator when hooked up to a wire that is isolated and not bonded on the other end? If so that just depends on the frequency you are using. If you use a low frequency you will not get continuity if the opposite end you are hooked up to is not grounded. Now if you use a high frequency it just pushes the signal down the line even without the other end grounded. Kind of like a false continuity.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yeah, this sounds horrible, but i'm not quite sure exactly what you are describing......maybe its too close to friday for me.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

i'm testing the resistance of a single wire with a multimeter and receiving continuity...........