Thread: Labelling plant

Default Labelling plant

As you might know, Im a f/t cable splicer p/t locator.. and one thing that became clear to me as I did more locates, is that its a darn nice practice (when im splicing) to label the cables (east, west, 190 James Ave, Up Pole , etc), and further, to *not* strap the cables in so tight that the locator has a biatch of a time trying to clamp or get access to the bond clamps for hookup.

That being said, when I do locates, and if i have the time, Ill add labels to the cables once I find out which way they go.. it makes the next guy's job easier (might even be me !). Im not going to get in trouble doin this, as its the same company Im working for anyhow.

For you contract locators though.. do you dare label some other companies stuff at all ??
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Default Re: Labelling plant

Yes whenever I have time to break down a ped and am 100 percent sure which cable is which I'll label them. I just use a paint marker and right N E W S on each of the cables if there is muliples going each way I'll write the size and direction. A long time ago the SBC splicers would always label the cables in peds but now it is an extremely rare occasion for the splicers out her to tag the cables.

The main reason I label them is when you come up to a locate and you just need one cable out of a ped. If they are not labeled you have to unbond a bunch of cables and check them all to find the right one. If they are labeled you unbond the one you need and go.

Verizon out here already has their's labeled with color coded zip ties. AT&T does not. I will label them in a similair way the golden one does. It does make it easier.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

i label only the ones of most interest to me mainly hard intersections....and the way i do it is using paint marks on the cable itself......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Verizon zip-ties are just a common sense idea. At what point ATT became too good to actually label their cables, I'm not sure. I have found ancient ATT cables (usually installed 50s-60s) with lead tags on them stating cable size and direction. EXTREMELY helpful in a jam-packed crossbox. I have noticed tags on some newer ATT stuff, usually an orange plastic placard. Typically it only has the cable size on it, and "FEED" or "TO CO" on the feeder. Usually that's pretty obvious anyway. I want labels in that nasty-ass ancient ped that is partially submerged for half the year---you know, the one you HAVE to access every time you do that intersection.

I like the paint stick (paint marker) idea. I've been trying to think of a way to start labeling cables that requires a minimal financial outlay, because you know the company's not going to help pay for something that might actually prevent a damage and make a locator more efficient. What about Wite-Out? Would that hold up in a ped over the years?
    Last edited by duke; November 5th, 2008 at 03:30 AM.