Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Invisible Pet Fences

Years of Experience

Angry Invisible Pet Fences

I don't know about everyone else but these pet fences really mess with my locator. It isn't a problem of bleeding off on the little wire it is the frequency some of the fences use. On some lots I have no problems and in others I can scroll through all the frequencies on my reciever and it just goes haywire.

How does everyone handle locating in these yards? I do a door knock and ask the homeowner to turn off the fence. If no one is home I normally leave a message for the homeowner or try to stop at the locate at the very end of the day to ask them to turn off the fence to do the locate for them.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've heard of others having problems with pet fences but I gotta say. I've never had a single problem. Maybe its cause I use a locator from the stone age and its too simple to screw with.

I have also had problems with these things... depending on what the locate is for... I can manage... but other times... I have to get a hold of the homeowner and request that they turn it off also. What's a locator to do????

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Holy cow, this is a new one on me.

Never gave that any thought, though have had a few locates in the near vicinity... one in a greenbelt behind a homeowner for street lights. That I know of, have never been in a yard that has a pet fence. However if the dog was in the house, how would one know short of the h/o putting up signage.

This thread has made me think of something similar as well.

In the farm areas I locate, farmers at times will tie a 12 volt battery, a series of 12 volt batteries or 110 to a fence to keep their livestock in.

Again, never gave this any thought, but wonder how much that would play with the frequencies if locating something in the ditch or a crossing that runs in to their fields.

Has anyone had any experience with that scenario?

I have run into that also.. but as long as your plant doesn't run right next to fencing it doesn't seem to be a problem.... same as ug pet fence... it becomes a problem when you get within a couple feet of them.... at least that is what I have found.

I've never had any problem using my RD. The fence is going to emit a signal in the 6 kilohertz/megahertz(whatever) range and unless you are real . close to it , it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what frequency you are locating in or what equipment you use but if you have the capability to change frequencies I would try that next time.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Hey everyone:

While I know that 12 volt batteries are direct current and should not give off any kind of frequency, except a microsecond indication when they stop and start, some of the fences seen to have "pulse" to it. That is to say they give you one small zap every few seconds. And was not sure if that made any difference.

I use metrotech equipment (9860) with one highfreq 82KHZ and one low freq 9.8 Hz.

P.S. Nice to see you back Gypsy girl. Must be really busy out there for you.

Years of Experience
    30+

I have used an RD400 and a RD4000 and never had a problem. I have also used a Metro Teck 9860 with no problem.

Years of Experience

I just fight with it most times I can tell the differnce in the signal due to the fence being a sharp signal and the cables an duller tone and if not it all gets painted

Default Yup

Last edited by 2RUDE; June 21st, 2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: .

Having used an RD433 with a pet fence in the area, I would usually go to 33mhz and was able to separate the phone out, surprisingly. I loved 33mhz!

Years of Experience

run these pet fences all the time ...hate to say it but in the end they end up getting paint on them too...........most of the time i catch it....pet fences give off a very high pitched high toned signal or if you are using a meter it will jump back and forth like on the old metrotechs.....have no problems really with subsite or rd's ..............

Years of Experience

Default Re: Invisible Pet Fences

The newer invisible fences don't seem to mess with me at all. It seems to be only the older fences that screw up the Rycom. I'm guessing the older ones used a wider range of frequencies and the newer ones are using a frequency that isn't close to any of the frequencies on the Rycom.

I'll agree with a couple of the commenters; sometimes I have trouble with these and sometimes I don't. First thing I do is change frequencies. Usually that works, but not always. The tone from the fences is pretty distinctive, but obviously a "junk tone."

Does anyone know how deep these things are actually buried? I can never get an accurate depth reading. I'd like to know because I get a lot of tickets for underground fence installs. Some of the contractors are nice enough to stake out their fence location so I can just mark the crossings, but other times it's STAKE ENTIRE LOT on a big-ass rural lot. My impression is that these things are usually only about 6" underground, in which case I can stress a little less about the gas and electric at least. Just curious.

Pet fences are usually only 4" or so down. From what I've heard the collars the animals wear for the fence won't pick up the signal if it's any deeper than that. I usually only worry about the drops heading to the house for these tickets, unless it's a homeowner doing the job themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast