Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jayc

Thread: Industrial Locating

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Industrial Locating

Anybody using the Mclaughin Verifier G2,Heath Sureloc ,Ditchwitch Utiliguard,or Rycom Locators (inside of) Nuclear Plants,Substations , Chemical Plants?? If so how do they measure up?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Industrial Locating

I'm just an RD/Metrotech jockey. Sorry we're just public locators here

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Anybody using the Mclaughin Verifier G2,Heath Sureloc ,Ditchwitch Utiliguard,or Rycom Locators (inside of) Nuclear Plants,Substations , Chemical Plants?? If so how do they measure up?
    I have the Verifier, but I've never used it inside a nuke plant or substation. I know a lot about substations because I've done a lot of work in them, and the problem is you've got grounds all over, as well as a ground ring going around the substation. You never know what you're going to be picking up. Same with cell towers. Grounds running everywhere and all attached to a ground ring around it. This is why they only allow hand-digging inside substations and cell towers. However, substations generally have better maps than cell towers do.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    I have the Verifier, but I've never used it inside a nuke plant or substation. I know a lot about substations because I've done a lot of work in them, and the problem is you've got grounds all over, as well as a ground ring going around the substation. You never know what you're going to be picking up. Same with cell towers. Grounds running everywhere and all attached to a ground ring around it. This is why they only allow hand-digging inside substations and cell towers. However, substations generally have better maps than cell towers do.
    I actually locate the whole grounding grid when i get calls to locate inside substations.I have never used the verifier was just curious on there strong points.Hows the radio mode on it?Is the radio and power mode on it compare to radiodetection?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    I actually locate the whole grounding grid when i get calls to locate inside substations.I have never used the verifier was just curious on there strong points.Hows the radio mode on it?Is the radio and power mode on it compare to radiodetection?
    Couldn't tell you how the radio mode is on it...I'm not a locator, I'm a contractor. If I'm using mine it's to verify a mark or find streetlights or something. I generally don't use just the power function, I hook up to whatever I'm trying to locate. But when I've used the power function it's worked nice, but if you're not hooked up to what you're trying to find it won't give you accurate depths.