Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By yahoo
  • 2 Post By 400 ft swath

Thread: Industrial Facility Locate

Years of Experience

Question Industrial Facility Locate

Hey guys,

I am a novice private locator and I am starting to get calls for hospitals & industrial facilities. I have one coming up that involves several streams of industrial waste in addition to regular storm and sewer.

Can anyone tell me what types of materials I should expect to see these industrial waste lines made out of? I sure hope they are conductive!! If they are non-conductive, any chance for a tracer? I also run GPR and hope for a chance of seeing them that way because I sure wouldn't want to have to push wire into them!

In looking at the prints I also see an extensive groundwater well array and pump station network with a few types of water lines. Any clue what I should expect to see in terms of water line materials? The prints say "SW, GW, FW".

Thanks you for reading and responding.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Industrial Facility Locate

this question is definitely for MKE !
    SubterraVT and daman1 like this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I've done a bunch of geo wells every one has had tracer wire it will be plastic pipe . Only done a couple of waste pipes and they were coated steel with some kind of epoxy liner .The geo wells are a ton easier if you got 2 people it's a lot of back and forth.

Years of Experience

Just got word from site contact the waste and water lines are PVC, HDPE, or poly. Time to run radar.

Hoping maybe for some kind of vault or structure that they were lain in and run together....or maybe a tracer....

Years of Experience

I would suggest anticipating the worst case scenarios to make sure you are prepared and equip to handle what might come at you. Almost all of the Industrial Waste piping out here at our airport is non conductive. Fortunately the newly installed piping we had the contractor put "Locate Tape" down at about 2' depth rather then right on top of the pipe to make locating easier in the future - that is of course, until small works projects compromise the tape and don't replace it.

The size of the piping is going to count. It will essentially determine weather or not you can get away with fiberglass rod/sondes/pushing wire down the pipe, or weather you would need to crutch on using a crawler.

Are you locating these systems for design or construction? If you are working with surveyors they will typically perform dips, and it could make your life a lot easier to essentially locate and fill in any "gaps" after they process the data, rather then field marking all of it initially.

Years of Experience

Hospitals are fun. Tell em you need to see the electrical room while chatting up every nurse you see
    SubterraVT and Nb22x like this.