Thread: hydronic curtain

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Default hydronic curtain

anyone locate on a hydronic curtain installation?

jobsite that i'd done some repair work on has a company installing a hydronic air curtain for enviornmental reasons, i'd like to know what the curtain is?

i'll tell about the money after you tell me about the curtain.
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: hydronic curtain

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    anyone locate on a hydronic curtain installation?

jobsite that i'd done some repair work on has a company installing a hydronic air curtain for enviornmental reasons, i'd like to know what the curtain is?

i'll tell about the money after you tell me about the curtain.
    Not sure here. An air curtain is like the entry doors in stores. A forced curtain of air that creates a barrier that reduces the entry of the cold outside air into the store every time the door is opened.

I know hydronics is a chilled or hot water air conditioning or heating system like a hot water radiator.

The use of an hydronic air curtain got me. Why use the heat of a hot water or steam radiator to heat the air of an air curtain?

I looked up these terms and found that there is something called a pneumatic curtain that is used underwater. It creates a wall of bubbles in a stream bed to keep fish from entering a contaminated area or containing an oil spill which sounds like the environmental aspect of the job you mentioned. But your job has a hydronic air curtain, not pneumatic.

Can you describe where the equipment is being installed, in a field, stream or building?

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Not sure here. An air curtain is like the entry doors in stores. A forced curtain of air that creates a barrier that reduces the entry of the cold outside air into the store every time the door is opened.

I know hydronics is a chilled or hot water air conditioning or heating system like a hot water radiator.

The use of an hydronic air curtain got me. Why use the heat of a hot water or steam radiator to heat the air of an air curtain?

I looked up these terms and found that there is something called a pneumatic curtain that is used underwater. It creates a wall of bubbles in a stream bed to keep fish from entering a contaminated area or containing an oil spill which sounds like the environmental aspect of the job you mentioned. But your job has a hydronic air curtain, not pneumatic.

Can you describe where the equipment is being installed, in a field, stream or building?
    somehow they entrain the earth with heated air to form a wall or curtain to control or contain areas. it is an enviormental issue.

money part, forman hires private locators [2] plus gpr on sites to provide asessements spends min $5-10,000 per site. that's pretty good dough for three companies to split for 1 days work each

Years of Experience
    lifetime

proloc

these are a series of bore holes that are charged with water to form a curtain i'll find out more, i was just amazed at the fees for locates and that they hired and used multiple locators for each job

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    proloc

these are a series of bore holes that are charged with water to form a curtain i'll find out more, i was just amazed at the fees for locates and that they hired and used multiple locators for each job
    Well, I guess you do not need to know how it is going to work to cash their check.

Sounds like they are creating an outflow of water in the ground to prevent some toxic material from migrating. Seems it would need a porous field on one side to direct the flow with a return path to bring the water back for filtration.

Sounds like these would be popular for landfills. I do not care how much liner is put in them they all seem to leak and poison the local ground water. Then they cap them to trap the methane gas. The trapped gas is either burned off or pipelined to be used as fuel. The Goddard Space Flight Center has a pipeline from a nearby landfill that provides it waste gas to be used for heating fuel.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hmmm, you got my curiousity up. I've done tons of environmental work, We own 3 government superfund sites. One of which we just purchased, and the other two we have taken over in the early 30's and were originally built in the late 1800's.... in other words we didn't do the poluting, but we are trying to clean it up. I've seen quite a few systems in place, I have seen the series of wells, being charged with water, usually there are extraction wells that work in tandem with these wells to complete the remediation. I havn't seen the "air curtains" you have described.

do they want you to locate a series of wells placements, or is it trenching or tilling?

just curious

mke

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    hmmm, you got my curiousity up. I've done tons of environmental work, We own 3 government superfund sites. One of which we just purchased, and the other two we have taken over in the early 30's and were originally built in the late 1800's.... in other words we didn't do the poluting, but we are trying to clean it up. I've seen quite a few systems in place, I have seen the series of wells, being charged with water, usually there are extraction wells that work in tandem with these wells to complete the remediation. I havn't seen the "air curtains" you have described.

do they want you to locate a series of wells placements, or is it trenching or tilling?

just curious

mke
    the more i search, the more i learn...they already have the site located, i was just amazed by the accuracy the require and the money they'll spend to acheive accuracy.

i'll post what i learn