Thread: How to locate Community Sewer Systems??

Years of Experience

Default How to locate Community Sewer Systems??

What would be the best way to locate a community sewer system that is around 1500-2000 feet long for the main line. All PVC construction, no clean outs anywhere in lines. Then would need to locate service lines that feed off the main line. This is a community on a lake with million dollar homes.

Thanks in advance.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to locate Community Sewer Systems??

Are there manholes in regular intervals? That would facilitate locating via Video Inspection using a locating Sonde on the camera. Ground Penetrating Radar may also work depending on the depth and soil type in the area. If you have no manholes and lots of clay in the soil, you may be out of luck.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I have talked to several camera truck guys about how they do this out ahead of major jobs. they said to get the laterals they will go inside the house and run a fishtape down the toilet, you can then hook to it and locate it outside.
    requires access to house is only issue but it would be the most accurate method.

Years of Experience

Bite the bullet and hire a camera to come out and map it for you then make maps with measuments for future locating. The city sewer dept or engenner should be able to give you names of companies in your area the can do this

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Bite the bullet and hire a camera to come out and map it for you then make maps with measuments for future locating. The city sewer dept or engenner should be able to give you names of companies in your area the can do this
    Orange nailed it. The most cost effective way would be getting it cameraed and having the inspection crew locate all laterals and bends in the pipe. If the pipe is large enough, and the inspection crew has a lateral launcher, you can have them locate the service lines as well......depending on size.

Not to take GPR out of the equation, but the camera and sonde should work and be a bit cheaper.

Mke

Years of Experience

is it force or gravity?

If force not a lot you can do, would require taking system offline and running a fishtape in at grinder pumps to the main.

Gravity you can use camera as stated above and one possibility which i have seen done is to run a fishtape down the toilet to get the laterals.

you can always witch it but not as reliable as other methods mentioned.

Years of Experience

That's what I was asking. I was looking for a way for me to do it. I am looking to start my own locating business and this is in very high demand in my area. Just needed to know what equipment I would need to get the job done.

Years of Experience

An added benefit of the camera truck is that this will find/clean any accumulation from the pipe. In my area many contractors employ camera trucks so they can avoid pushing gas services through sewer laterals.
    Depending on the software that the camera truck is running you can export the date to a GIS program and have an accurate map of the entire camera'd area.