Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy, I have a question

Default Gypsy, I have a question

Are you still using that Vivax Equipment??

If so/not, could you tell us how that is working out for you?

I'm getting in the market again for some equipment and am just looking for some feed back from people who have ACTUALLY used it.

These guys that these companies hire to sell their product don't know jack about Locating. (most of them anyway, there are exceptions of course)

Default Re: Gypsy, I have a question

I have not been using the Vivax lately. I personally like the Subsite better. Another locator has been using it and seems to have the same feelings on it. It is a lot heavier than the subsite but not quite as heavy as the RD. I did like having 33 on the Vivax as we do not have that. I just have a lot more confidence with the Subsite at this time. Then again, it may just be what you get used to.

Thanks for info. Good locating to you.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Mark, the owner of Vivax finally called me back, after 6 months, two non returned phone calls, and one ignored e-mail. I took great pleasure in telling them it was too late, he should have sent me that demo unit he promised, and returned my phone calls and e-mails. I just purchased an i5000 for my crews instead of a Vivax. Sorry Mark, work on your customer service. Good luck with them AUL.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Well findit it's between Ridgid, RD, Metrotec and Vivax (all of them being the newest technology each company offers).

I firmly believe in upgrading with the new tech (must be the military in me), using outdated (yes proven, but limited) equipment isn't good for the customer or the company (plus outdated equipment is for Marines, LOL, Marines will get the joke).

Mke
    Years of Experience

I have a weird question. I have demo-ed all but the Vivax and I can see the positives in most of the equipment, but I have yet to be persuaded to give up my old 810 for metrotech's new stuff or let alone any other company. So the question is...
    What sells you on a particular piece of equipment? Is it the fact you can get different frequencies or modes on a particular one? For me, it is keeping it compartmentalized. I have a piece of equipment for any given situations. I know it takes up space to have multiple pieces of equipment, but when you look at the percentages its not too bad.

85% - metrotech 810
    10% - Aquatronix split box
    03% - 60 cycle
    02% - schonstedt

Thats the main ones I use. I do have a subsite in reserves and what have you, but those are my main ones and each have a specific use.

And if you are wondering how long I have demo-ed the other equipment.

I had the Rigid locator for just over a month
    the RD4000 at just about 3weeks
    The new metrotech was about 3 weeks.
    I also used the Rigid locator specifically for sondes for about 3 years.

During those demo times I never felt the other equipment could take the #1 spot on my list.

Please persuade me.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by AULupstate View Post
    Well findit it's between Ridgid, RD, Metrotec and Vivax (all of them being the newest technology each company offers).

I firmly believe in upgrading with the new tech (must be the military in me), using outdated (yes proven, but limited) equipment isn't good for the customer or the company (plus outdated equipment is for Marines, LOL, Marines will get the joke).
    Lol, my father was allowed to keep the BAR circa 1943 he was issued in 1967!!! at one time.

Yeah, got the joke. unfortunately...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Mke, I am usure why any of us would try to sell you one piece of equipment over another. The proper instruments for you to carry and use on a daily basis all depend on your level of competence and ability, your experience, the area you locate in, and the type of utilities you locate on a daily basis. There will never be one "magic bullet" locator that can locate everything 100% of the time. I believe most of us carry and use a variety of equipment that varies as widely as the personalities that post on this site.
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

I personally do not like being limited to one frequency (that's my biggest complaint about 810 series metrotechs). Open space with 1 maybe 2 utilities they are good, no question. You get into a 'spider web' of live, abandoned and forgot about utilties and it becomes diffucult for isolation of target utilities.
    I like to be able to do a 50/60 safety sweep of my immediate area (I know alot of 810 guys carry c.a.t.s for this).

I guess I just like to have a multi tasker or two instead of a vehicle full of 'unitaskers'.

Years of Experience

Metrotech 9890XT's are solid with the passive mode locating you are looking for built in. Frequencies: 982Hz, 9.8kHz, 82kHz Passive 50/60 and RF. Maximum 3-Watt transmitter. Will run you approximately $3,900.00 I have 4 of them.

Years of Experience

I use both vivax and metrotech 810 and 850 regularly. Vivax has some benefits. Like the 200khz freq. use it to push past broken tracers and dressers that I can't get past with the 810. That high freq. also does a great job on poorly grounded utilities. The unit we recieved had so much more on it than the demo. They added a compass, constant depth, and modulated toning. Not bad over all.

I've ran all the new equipment out there except the rd8000. Most have similar capabilities. Couldn't find anything with the metrotech 5000, that I couldn't find with an 810 or 850, but they updated with the new metromark if you need an electronic marker system. Vivax is also making available an EMS that they can add.

The rd8000 is amazingly light, not much more than a paintstick with a bundle of flags. Can't wait to demo that!

ifindit has it right though, you have to just demo and see what fits best.

I can tell you it takes quite a while to get used to machines from a different platform.

As to what I think sales me on a new machine, it's whether the equipment can add to what I can find while still doing everything my current equipment can.

Mke is tipical of most locators i know: once you've got the 810 dialed in to just what it can do, it's hard for others to measure up. 810 is super easy to use.

I do like the rd8000 features and user friendly style. My only problem with it is that 'goose' neck handle. It's hollow (with the exception of the electronic wires in it) and it doesn't feel like it could even take a little bit of abuse (we all know a little abuse happens everyday). I've seen sub sites , sure lok and rycoms break at the handles (sometimes just due to temperature changes, being in a warm vehicle then out in -2 cold).

I've used an old Rycom something, Subsite 950's, RD4000's and a 400, and the new Vivax LocPro. I took the subsite out of my truck and forced myself to use the Vivax for a month straight, because I HATED the Vivax at first. After a month, however, I decided not to take the subsite back. Sure, the Vivax is heavier and I miss the subsite's modulated audio, but the Vivax will find stuff, and I mean a significant amount of stuff, that the subsite would not. My biggest gripe about the Vivax is the automatic control of transmitter output power. If you spend your time on 32.8KHz or below it EATS D-cells, automatically increasing the transmitter to about 80-105mA when really 25mA or so is plenty for most jobs. On 65KHz and 200KHz, it defaults to only 10mA output. Seems odd.

Jared

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I've used an old Rycom something, Subsite 950's, RD4000's and a 400, and the new Vivax LocPro. I took the subsite out of my truck and forced myself to use the Vivax for a month straight, because I HATED the Vivax at first. After a month, however, I decided not to take the subsite back. Sure, the Vivax is heavier and I miss the subsite's modulated audio, but the Vivax will find stuff, and I mean a significant amount of stuff, that the subsite would not. My biggest gripe about the Vivax is the automatic control of transmitter output power. If you spend your time on 32.8KHz or below it EATS D-cells, automatically increasing the transmitter to about 80-105mA when really 25mA or so is plenty for most jobs. On 65KHz and 200KHz, it defaults to only 10mA output. Seems odd.

Jared
    The reason for the signal strength is they break down the available mA into 3 steps. the reason the 65khz and 200khz start at 10 mA is that all machines are limited by the F.C.C. above a certian range(I forgot the actual beginning freq.). The F.C.C. only allows 100mA on those frequencies.

As for your Batteries, you should see if you can get the rechargable battery pack. The rechargables last much longer.

If you like your Vlocpro better, add the sub-site frequencies to your reciever and use that transmitter when your batteries go.

As you climb the frequency ladder, an increase in transmitter voltage has decreasing impact on results. That's why the batteries in a Pipe Horn transmitter (480 kHz) last forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast