Thread: GPS prints

Years of Experience

Default GPS prints

I heard this mentioned in another thread. When you pull up to your locate your prints are pulled up automatically by GPS. Just wondering how well this works and how many people have this capability.

I was thinking about how much time I spend in a day pulling prints for every utility for each locate. If all the records were automatically pulled by GPS when you pull up to a locate it would save alot of headaches and less messing with all the different programs.

On a different note I wish they would have GPS coordinates on all the test stands and manholes on the prints. I use a handheld GPS all the time for fishing and it would be great to enter in the coordinates and find that MH,HH, or test stand that is hidden in the woods.

Years of Experience

Default Re: GPS prints

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I heard this mentioned in another thread. When you pull up to your locate your prints are pulled up automatically by GPS. Just wondering how well this works and how many people have this capability.

I was thinking about how much time I spend in a day pulling prints for every utility for each locate. If all the records were automatically pulled by GPS when you pull up to a locate it would save alot of headaches and less messing with all the different programs.

On a different note I wish they would have GPS coordinates on all the test stands and manholes on the prints. I use a handheld GPS all the time for fishing and it would be great to enter in the coordinates and find that MH,HH, or test stand that is hidden in the woods.

It's a fairy tale. Here in Baton Rouge, we're provided with GPS access on Bentley for AT&T (telephone) prints only. Problem is, there's a 75% chance the Bentley program will close altogether when you access the GPS. You open it again, wait another 20-30 seconds for it to open....Click GPS, bam, it closes again. Pain in the ass...Maybe it's different with some programs. I find after a fresh boot, the GPS attaches more efficiently, but not always.

It's easier to just use the 'find intersection' tool, rather than use GPS on Bentley. It keeps me moving. I hate to rely on the GPS on anything except my Streets and Trips program...because it ends up you clicking 'Attach GPS' the program closes, you open it again, click gps, it closes again....Ultimately you'll end up dicking around in your truck with the gps for a good 5-10 mins before it attaches, better to just use find intersection. Waste of what-could've-been production when you're loaded down with 70-200 tickets.
    Last edited by scap; January 7th, 2009 at 05:47 PM.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

i agree with all scap has said !!! have the same system but.......i'm not having as many problems as scap so i seem to like it very well.....by about 11:00 am it will freeze up and you will have to shut it down..... there are tricks to the trade .....in time you will learn them .....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I had a guy from the gas company tell me this was in the works on their system. That will be cool to have someday.
    "Change does not always equal progress."