Thread: flashlights

Years of Experience

Default flashlights

Can anybody recommend a good on call flashlite i need a new one and am thinking about a xenon bulb lite. I don't need a huge lantern style just a good wide beam lite thanks!

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: flashlights

I use a 5 d-cell Maglite.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

A3,4 or5 cell maglite will work fine. Make sure it uses Dcells so you always have batteries for it. I have the older style with the old kryton bul, but upgraded to the led lght for it. The new ones come with led lights now, i think it is the xenon bulb

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I use a maglite - tough, waterproof and the beam is adjustable from wide to narrow.

Also an led lamp with bands that you can wear on your head or attach to a hard hat. Makes it a lot easier to mark with both hands free to work the receiver and paint stick.

A less used one I carry is an explosive gas atmosphere flashlight made by MSA for working around gas leaks. It is sealed so any internal spark is contained and the bulb is held in place by a spring to help prevent it shattering.

I have to go with the l.e.d. lights. Coleman makes some nice ones at a reasonable price. L.e.d's last forever and the battery life is outstanding. Also one of those head lamps isn't a bad idea, good for reading prints outside of the vehicle. I personaly have some cheap $10 l.e.d. light taped to my measuring wheel so I don't have to bend over or pick it up to read it while I'm working in the dark.

Years of Experience

I really have to switch. I still use the 2 dollar 2 D cell batteries you get in a gas station that last about a month.

I will definately look into the l.e.d. maglights. I had a really nice 5 D cell maglight but I lost it on the job about 10 years ago. I'm alot better about not leaving tool now.

I carry a Maglite, a clip-on LED lite that clips on to a cap brim( great in a hunting blind ) and I also have a re-chargeable 1 million watt spotlight that's good for lighting up several marks at a time so your pictures show up better.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

The LED flashlights are the way to go. Maglight makes a great one, but don't discount the little cheap plastic ones you can find everywhere. I keep a few of those in the truck just as a backup.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I have several different lights I use, When i'm working at night the main one I have on me is my headlamp. It has an incandescent bulb, Red LED's and White LED's. I use the bulb more since the light carrys better then the LED's. I also have a small 2D cell flash light, but the one that i've been likeing more and more the more I take it out is the Black & Decker FSL18 18 Volt Cordless Flashlight. I got it free in a tool kit, it has a rechargeable battery, and I can sit it on the ground with out proping it up to shine in the Peds or what nots. And if you ever have to Dip manholes it lights those up pretty well.

mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Robot View Post
    The LED flashlights are the way to go. Maglight makes a great one, but don't discount the little cheap plastic ones you can find everywhere. I keep a few of those in the truck just as a backup.
    Maglite also makes a replacement insert to convert their regular bulbs to LED so you keep the original maglite by just upgrading the bulb. At least I saw some around a few years ago.

Years of Experience

I have an el-cheap-o that I bought at walmart 15 years ago . spent 5 dollars on it ..still works for me! ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I have an el-cheap-o that I bought at walmart 15 years ago . spent 5 dollars on it ..still works for me! ha!
    They'll be plowing snow in hell before the Walton family gets a dime from me.

Go with Petzl it is the best ever made I use a petzl headlamp which allows me freedom to use a receiver and a paint stick, i also use it for camping and night time rock climbing

Years of Experience

hahhaahahha good one dude!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    They'll be plowing snow in hell before the Walton family gets a dime from me.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato