Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishtape

Years of Experience

Default Fishtape

I've had to use a fishtape quite a few times to either rod empty conduit or to locate sheathless fibers. It seems like the fishtape tones sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I know the ideal situation would be to rod the fishtape all the way through and then ground the other end but this is a rarity. Normally I fish the conduit till I can't push any farther and then direct connect to the fishtape. It seems like the shorter runs don't want to tone. I'm guessing this is because it is ungrounded. Anybody have any tips or tricks for these situations?

Default Re: Fishtape

Is there a way you could get the phone company to send a tone through the line? If so, you could locate it by the tone using your receiver.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Years of Experience
    30+

I have found when you push the tape all the way and it stops the you could be into the ground thus you have your ground. You could also be into water thus creating a ground. On shorter runs when you cannot get a good tone, try using a higher freq.

Just my guess.

I use fishtape weekly on unshielded fiber.No matter how you do it unless the other end is grounded you can only locate about 3/4 of your fishtape till your signal fades away.A higher frequency is required.I use 82khz with good results.

Years of Experience

fishtape goldenboy?????? please explain...

Years of Experience

if it's embarrassing and something i should know...........just pm me instead......

Years of Experience

A fishtape is a metal or fiberglass rod on a roll(we obviously have to use the metal one to locate) used by electricians to pull wires through walls. A 200ft fishtape only costs about 40 bucks and can save tons of time. Instead of calling a contractor you can just rod the untoneable duct and locate it out.

Thanks everyone for your tips and suggestions.

Years of Experience
    na

Im just curious to know how your co. would treat or whether you could be charged with a legit damage for not rodding or attempting and mismarking an EMPTY conduit???

This maybe a good samaritan gesture, sometimes I will get there or reschedule tommorrow when they no longer would need me...I dont guarantee my arrivals for things that are above and beyond the call of duty...Unless of course lunch money is involved or at least an offer...It kills me when most discount your services without offering anything...
    Oh and thats why I dont play the game like in the old take me for granted days of this business...
    Guess this arouses a whole nother ball of wax...

Not to many contract locating Co.s to the best of my knowledge issue fishtape to locators as SOP so that tells me its beyond the scope of my duties...

Just my 1/2 a cent...
    Last edited by USIC1; July 9th, 2008 at 12:16 AM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    Im just curious to know how your co. would treat or whether you could be charged with a legit damage for not rodding or attempting and mismarking an EMPTY conduit???

Not to many contract locating Co.s to the best of my knowledge issue fishtape to locators as SOP so that tells me its beyond the scope of my duties...

Just my 1/2 a cent...
    No the fishtape isn't company issued. If there is a sheathless fiber or new conduit with nothing in it we are supposed to call the utility company,wait for them to come out,meet them on site,wait for them to rod it, and then locate it. I choose to do it myself because I hate waiting around for the right way to do it.

Sorry if going above the call of duty makes you sick but some of us do go above and beyond from time to time.

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    No the fishtape isn't company issued. If there is a sheathless fiber or new conduit with nothing in it we are supposed to call the utility company,wait for them to come out,meet them on site,wait for them to rod it, and then locate it. I choose to do it myself because I hate waiting around for the right way to do it.

Sorry if going above the call of duty makes you sick but some of us do go above and beyond from time to time.

Sick but not a sucker...

I wont let any of a majority of these people that think we are there bitch boy locators get the best of me wthout a fight or some apreciation...

Hey if there is a facility and thats what the customer wants so be it...If our company says stay out there and dig an unsheathed fiber- I got the time if they got the cash...And extensive hand digging can get costly...

What about the damage of an empty conduit???

See we have a facility owner that thinks we need to be responsible for all the new empty conduit in new subdivisions...But thats crap and not in the contract...So I dont mess with it...What are they going to charge us for???

HA! frikin joke...
    Last edited by USIC1; July 9th, 2008 at 12:32 AM.

Years of Experience
    30+

GB I'm with you. I hate waiting for them to show up and I can get it done quicker. I have a wide assortment of personal item that the company would never provide. I have 3 different locating equipment that belongs to me.

Supervisor told us not allowed to carry personal items in trucks, but we have to buy our own stuff. Can't have it both ways. Clean the truck of personal items when going to be inspected. Put it back in to shorten locate time right after. Taking a chance I guess. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. But, you need to in order to make production.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Most of the companies are masters at double-speak so most of us have set personal limits in certain job situations. Some of use the "cheater clips" previously discussed here and the co. doesn't say anything as long as it isn't flaunted in their face. Other locators won't do anything not "legit". I say, each to their own or "whatever blows your skirt up"
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

I have had a vp see an extention pole in the back of my truck. He had asked what I used it for. I told him it was for the dips coming down the pole, so I didn't waste time undoing the uchannel guards. He looked at me, chuckled, and walked away.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

BTW GB, All you can do is crank it up and tone it that way. Using the rd in 65K and all lights lit.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast