Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator
  • 1 Post By yahoo
  • 1 Post By mattm211
  • 4 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Finding an adress that doesn't exist?

Years of Experience

Default Finding an adress that doesn't exist?

So in NY tickets I get a bunch of construction sites. I show up and the places aren't anymore then form sets,lol. I just marked all the sites I thoight they were. It bothers me because the non English speaking cement and framing crews can manage to build a house in the right place so how do I find the lots like they do? Is there a navigation app or something?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Finding an adress that doesn't exist?

Call the excavator and ask directions to his exact lot/location. If it is a house under construction there is often permit papers on a board out front, inside on the kitchen window and on an inspection sticker inside the electric panel. Thus will save you time from marking extra lots. In Virginia if you mark the wrong lot, even if the correct lot is also marked, and a state audit finds this you will get a fine.
    Madcow101 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

I agree with PL . this is the best way !
    Madcow101 likes this.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

See if the county you're in has their tax maps online. Where I've been they call it the County Appraisal District or Tax Assessor. If they have their stuff online they hopefully have a searchable map that shows you where the address is. I've had really good ones show actual property lines over google satellite view and I can see exactly the lot someone wants when it just a big undeveloped block that actually contains many undeveloped addresses.
    Madcow101 likes this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mattm211 View Post
    See if the county you're in has their tax maps online. Where I've been they call it the County Appraisal District or Tax Assessor. If they have their stuff online they hopefully have a searchable map that shows you where the address is. I've had really good ones show actual property lines over google satellite view and I can see exactly the lot someone wants when it just a big undeveloped block that actually contains many undeveloped addresses.
    I have also used this, but my first go to is the phone. I figure if the excavator gets tired of answering questions from me he/she will in the future put the needed info on the ticket and make sure the building / lot is clearly marked.

When I mark a new housing development I stop at the sales office and get their little map of thee development. Usually the lot numbers are on these maps and the street names which are too new to be on maps. I also use the maps to make notes, fill in street numbers and sketch in utility locations.
    daman1, Madcow101, UULC and 1 others like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    I have also used this, but my first go to is the phone. I figure if the excavator gets tired of answering questions from me he/she will in the future put the needed info on the ticket and make sure the building / lot is clearly marked.

When I mark a new housing development I stop at the sales office and get their little map of thee development. Usually the lot numbers are on these maps and the street names which are too new to be on maps. I also use the maps to make notes, fill in street numbers and sketch in utility locations.
    When I go back tomorrow i will start calling more. I hate guessing. I mean, dang, I do a job where guessing is not allowed, or it should not be allowed anyway. im still really liking the work though, even with feeling like i dont have a clue,lol.

Years of Experience

Oh, and the lots im going to are no more then slab forms. most of the tickets say they are installing a Tpole, sewer, or gas. the cable is safe, but i would still like a rock solid way of finding out if im in the right location. out of curiosity, do they put the adress on the electrical URD's?

Years of Experience

I take it you are not getting any premarks or lot markers?

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Some towns do in fact have GIS online. You can access the civic address through that service usually.

However that is usually only wealthy towns, the smaller ones most often do not have that.

Your issue of lot numbers not being marked on brand new construction sites is extremely common. Sometimes if a house already exists on a side of the road, you can count back in 2's to the lot you are on. For example if house 23 is standing built and shows 23 on the house or mail box. The house nextdoor is house 25, and the lot on the other side is empty, it's very likely that is address 21.