Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Goldenboy
  • 1 Post By Coughcough
  • 2 Post By phoenix827

Thread: Extension pole/hot stick

Default Extension pole/hot stick

The bolt on top of my extension pole broke, I tried taking the top metal connector piece where the bolt comes from off. However it will not come off, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a fix, or a recommendation of a relatively cheap replacement extension pole that I could make my clamp attach to.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Extension pole/hot stick

Get a cheap extendable house paint stick 10-15 dollars at HD or Lowes. Drill the rivet out of the stick for the plastic end, Drill a hole in the end of the plastic end piece insert a bolt the size needed for the threads on your clamp. Make sure to use washers on both sides of the plastic. Reconnect the end piece with a small bolt or a drywall screw.

Years of Experience

We also just use house paint extension poles. They are cheap and you just need to add 1 bolt to the end to have your hot stick. Just remember that these are not actual hotsticks in the sense that they protect you from electrical charges. These are just extension poles that should never be used on power. I believe the bolt size is 1/4x20.

phoenix827 likes this.

I ended up jb welding a 1/4"x20 bolt into the top of my pole works great just used almost and entire tube :/. Has anyone ever tried to put a light on their extension pole? The thought came to me lately I know its better to get into the MH but sometimes time and equipment do not permit this. I was thinking about attaching a waterproof light to the pole somehow so that I can see a little better what I am clamping to. Only concern is it getting caught in a congested MH.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Extension pole ??? Hot stick ??? Is there any other ways to hook up to facilities inside a MH
    PS I was told for a flooded MH you could ground your TX and throw your red lead into the water. Any tips or advice on these? Does it work? Advantages or disadvantages

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CWVines View Post
    Extension pole ??? Hot stick ??? Is there any other ways to hook up to facilities inside a MH
    PS I was told for a flooded MH you could ground your TX and throw your red lead into the water. Any tips or advice on these? Does it work? Advantages or disadvantages
    I HAD a whole reply typed up yesterday, but hit the back button! lol In short, It CAN work, but is not to be trusted unless/until you can verify your signal. I WILL bleed off onto anything touching the water and follow every leak in the conduit. If you get a good sealed conduit, it can run for a while, but if it leaks, you wont go anywhere. make sure you have a good ground though. Is it something for a new guy to use? Not really, but try it when you can VERIFY your marks and see how it works.
    yahoo and CWVines like this.

Years of Experience

Phone splices are generally grounded in the MH's, so everything in there is going to get a little of the signal. I have seen to many people fired for damages because they located this way and missed a line. I've used it when I knew there was only one duct bank going the direction I needed to locate.

Years of Experience

Newbie here. So excuse my ignorance. 1/4-20 bolt is for what? How do you attach your read lead to the bonding strap in MY? pictures of this joystick setup anyone. Sorry

Years of Experience

someone on this site still uses one of those CWVINES . but it may take about a week before someone will show you a picture of it . please be patient.
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by CWVines View Post
    Newbie here. So excuse my ignorance. 1/4-20 bolt is for what? How do you attach your read lead to the bonding strap in MY? pictures of this joystick setup anyone. Sorry
    Nothing to be sorry for, we were all new once! An extension pole isnt for leads, its for a clamp. The bolt in the end screws into the handle of your clamp. Then you use the rope (that should be) attached to the handle to open the clamp. You raise a GREAT point though! An extension pole set up for leads is a great idea!