Thread: Equipment Upgrade - Your oppinions!

Years of Experience

Default Equipment Upgrade - Your oppinions!

I am used to working with the classic Metrotech 810, and Radiodetection (4000), I also pack a pipehorn.

Say theoretically I had to replace this equipment with 2 machines. Which 2 machines that are more modern would you recommend? Let me lay out some criteria as to what I'd be looking for generally.

1) Machine 1 would have to be great at blind sweeping / inductive sweeping.
    2) Machine 2 would be used to locate all utilities possible (I'm on the private side) thus I would want it to be decently versatile - meaning able to locate sondes, multiple frequencies and/or 'modes,' inductive capabilities - a great all around quick/easy to use (even if theirs a learning curve) type machine. Going from hook-up to hook-up non stop running stuff out.

What would you guys pick, why, and what are the hang-ups if any with the equipment you would recommend?

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Equipment Upgrade - Your oppinions!

Pipe Horn is excellant for blind sweeps and the 4000 is a good all around AS LONG as it is programed with ALL the freqs.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

1. Metrotech 810, stick with the tried and true
    2. Metrotech 9890XT, it is everything you are looking for in your description, including a great induction instrument.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    17 years

Between a Pipehorn and an 810, I'd say you've got it going on already. Don't know how the newer versions of those do. Some times you get the newest model and learn the older ones were way better. RD 7000 seems to do pretty well also but they can be kind of delicate.

Years of Experience

subsite for all of the above....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I kinda think it depends on the utility honestly. I used to locate nothing but gas, and I stuck with my 810 for my usual machine. But whenever I needed a good induction I pulled out the Piephorn. When I did Power,Phone, & CATV I was forced to use an RD 4000, I found it to be a good machine for the most part but a bit on the heavy side. When we picked up a water contract I used a subsite 950, It was light and effective. Ive never messed with Sewer. Out of all the machines Ive personally used, if I had to pick two it would Definitely be a Pipehorn for inducing and An RD 4000 (the 7000 & 8000 have a lot of bells and whistles but the 4000 is just as good) But the RD should have a 10W Watt Transmitter with the LCD and programmable Frequencies, and the MRX on the receiver for Sonde Locating! I've heard good and bad things of a Mclaughlin unit, but I've never used one myself. STAY AWAY FROM RYCOM!!! Hope this Helped -UQLOCATOR

Years of Experience

I'd say a Pipehorn, RD4000, and an 810 should cover anything you might need located.

Have you run into something that you were unable to locate with this combination of machines? Do you have the 10W RD transmitter? Anything but the lowest power setting on it is overkill for the majority of situations, but sometimes you need the brute force.

My old 4000 is nice for the peak and null verification, depth reading, and variety of frequencies. More troubleshooting options. Very rarely does it let me down in radio or power mode, either. A radio sweep at 84-86 sensitivity, or a Power sweep at 50 will grab most power, CATV, and telecom lines... Many gas and water lines, and in my experience even de-energized street lights.

I only used an 810 classic for about a week as a stand in when my RD4000 needed repair, but I don't like it. I trust a peak reading over a null any day, and while that needle bounces quick, you still only have 83khz to work with, which makes congested areas where Isolation is impossible inaccurate as sin. I've tried 83khz in many situations on my RD8000, and I can't see any benefit over 33khz, or 65khz. They seem to all behave almost identically. I can understand if you were raised on 'em, but they don't offer the feature set. At least not the classic. This may have changed with newer models, but I've never used one.

I've no experience with a Pipehorn, but from what I hear about 'em you can't find a better machine for non DC applications.

If you just want to upgrade for comfort and feature set, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an RD8000, as long as you kept the Pipehorn or 4000 around for blind sweeps. If you NEED 83khz for some reason it is available to you with this machine. It is very light and sleek, and Peak/Null mode is a real time saver. Null mode sucks by itself on this unit... It seems like a weak copy of a Metrotech, but I wouldn't trust my marks to unverified null readings in most situations anyhow, and peak null is about as useful as it could get.
    The compass is a real help determining what is what, too.

It's passive modes are usable in non congested areas, but miss small things due to the amount of noise filtering done by the receiver itself.

Really, though... The list of things you can locate with whatcha got is a lot bigger than the list of things you can't .

Mke
    Years of Experience

The only thing I'd add to the list to help with blind sweeps or sweeps of large areas is a Split box..... I love my split box.

Split, coupled with a nice 810, and finish it off with a nice complimentary machine.... RD or the what have yous, and you are set.

mke

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You want a metrotech 810 or the new vm810 for line locating, and an RD CAT (cable avoidance tool) for passive.

You get the best of both worlds - the legendary metrotech 810 automatic guidance with quick, sharp needle movement with light weight mass, and the dependable passive abilities of the RD family of machines.

To be honest, the speed of both machines is the best thing out there. The RD CAT turns on in less then 2 seconds with it's trigger, has excellent battery life, and no annoying bios or led screen eating up batteries. It's lightweight, quick, and you can carry it at your side due to it's unique profile instead of in front of you like most other recievers.

I have located tens of thousands of tickets using these instruments and have had absolutely no damages, not even a non-fault. Every locator likes to lie about his damages but using those exact instruments I just mentioned above, I've had no problems whatsoever and wouldn't ever trade them for anything else available.