Thread: Electric question

Years of Experience

Default Electric question

Just a couple electric questions about ground rods. Is there ever a scenario where it would be an emergency to install a ground rod at the base of a pole? Is there ever a scenario where it would be an emergency to install a ground rod at the base of multiple poles on the same block?

I'm asking because the electric company out here is making a habit of calling in emergencies for this type of work and in the ten years I've been doing this I can't come up with a valid reason for it to be an emergency, aside from extreme circumstances. In my mind it's just someone's lack of planning for these to be getting called in as anything other than normal notice work.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Default Re: Electric question

I don't know if it would be technically an emergency but having the ground rods definately helps against lightning strikes. That is something that should be placed while intalling of said poles (one would think).

Years of Experience

Don't see why this would constitute as an emergency or why they are putting ground rods at the base of a pole. Most of the poles I have seen have a copper ground running the entire length of the pole to the base which is a few feet underground. Sounds like BS to me.
    "It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip someone the bird"

Hey.........pull my finger!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

I got one a few weeks ago, I get out there, no-one on site, no premarks and find one of the new phone boxes hanging off the pole 1/2 hooked up. Coincidence? (ratty old pole too! lol)

Years of Experience

So when you go back to these are there new poles there or did they actually install ground rods? I know the grounds are important but all the electric works downtown and the bums have taken all the copper ground wires so the ground rods are doing nothing. If it was an emergency I'd get one for every pole downtown.

I would rank this up there with Emergency fence tickets, drop burying tickets and Utiliquest's emergency gas line exposures. And my newest favorite is an Emergency Tel repair ticket stating customer w/out service. When we arrived a 200 pr feeding a building , still under construction, was cut in two. Further investigation showed that this cable had been cut around the middle of November-2 months prior to the "Emergency". All in all, I find it is the Utility Companies, or their contractors, who abuse this more than anyone else.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

are we talking about an actual ground rod or a stablizer rod???? well to answer the question ...i have never had either called in as an emergency!!!!! to me ..it has no reason to be called in as an emergency.....as a matter of fact...here in my state one call will not let power company's call in to set a pole as an emergency.....!!! every now and them some get away with it though!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    are we talking about an actual ground rod or a stablizer rod???? well to answer the question ...i have never had either called in as an emergency!!!!! to me ..it has no reason to be called in as an emergency.....as a matter of fact...here in my state one call will not let power company's call in to set a pole as an emergency.....!!! every now and them some get away with it though!!!
    They don't consider a broken pole in need of replacing an emergency?
    Somebody's smoking crack!
    Not only is there a chance that multiple residences will be out of service, there's a huge safety risk if a live line comes down.
    If that's really the policy, someone sure is doing a great job!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    It was for actual ground rod installs. The copper wire coming down the pole was attached to the newly pounded ground rod right next to the pole.

If it had been for pole bracing or stabilizing I could see how that could warrant being an emergency. In some circumstances a pole could be severely leaning and require immediate attention. But in this case the contractor called in five separate emergencies for ground rod installations at five separate pole locations, none of which warranted an emergency response, unless someone's lack of planning is now means for an emergency, any time. I've always loved the quote "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." It applies so often in this industry.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    It was for actual ground rod installs. The copper wire coming down the pole was attached to the newly pounded ground rod right next to the pole.

If it had been for pole bracing or stabilizing I could see how that could warrant being an emergency. In some circumstances a pole could be severely leaning and require immediate attention. But in this case the contractor called in five separate emergencies for ground rod installations at five separate pole locations, none of which warranted an emergency response, unless someone's lack of planning is now means for an emergency, any time. I've always loved the quote "Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine." It applies so often in this industry.

Last summer the local power company had the same work type (7/8 tickets, 7/8 poles) but were called in as regular tickets, 2nd and 3rd request (not in a rush at all) finally they got them done. When asked the crew they said they had to installed 3 ea. 10 ft. ground rods back to back due to the type of soil (sand/beach). In u-r case 100% . Not the brightest crayon in the box

Never heard of ground rods just all of a sudden being needed. These are placed when the pole was first put up. Only pole Emer. I had evre recieved were for a car hitting one and it needing to be replaced.