Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: Ditch Witch Utiliguard+

Years of Experience

Default Ditch Witch Utiliguard+

I work for a company that installs fiber optic. My primary job is steering one of the drill rigs but I also do quite a bit of utility locating. I use the RD8000 with Tx-3...I'm a big fan of this unit. My boss recently got a utiliguard+ to demo. He's had issues and I've tried it a few times. The biggest problem is the null and peak are always off quite a bit, usually about a foot. It's brand new, I assume it lost calibration along the line.
    Has anyone had any good success with the utiliguard+?
    PS I think it is unreasonably heavy.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Ditch Witch Utiliguard+

That RD is top of the line equipment. If it works well don't beat yourselves up looking for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by peredur3 View Post
    I work for a company that installs fiber optic. My primary job is steering one of the drill rigs but I also do quite a bit of utility locating. I use the RD8000 with Tx-3...I'm a big fan of this unit. My boss recently got a utiliguard+ to demo. He's had issues and I've tried it a few times. The biggest problem is the null and peak are always off quite a bit, usually about a foot. It's brand new, I assume it lost calibration along the line.
    daman1 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by peredur3 View Post
    I like the 8000 receiver because you can use both peak and null at the same time. That Tx-3 is a joke, too heavy for everyday locating and goes through batteries way too fast. Get an old 400 transmitter, works very well with the 8000 receiver.

Years of Experience

Being a noob I really don't have an opinion. But we were issued the Utiliguard+ Rx and T5+ Tx I believe. Supposed to be top of the line. Weren't really trained on the peak,null and whatever the other antenna functions are. I know I use the bullseye symbol with the upside down u antenna. Sorry I'm not more proficient with terminology.

Years of Experience

hang in there buddy . pretty soon you will be an expert !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato