Thread: Diference Between Rd Transmitters

Talking Diference Between Rd Transmitters

was looking at getting an RD4000, was wondering if there was a noticeable difference between the 3W transmitter and the 10W, besides the price. what do you think?allergies!!!!!ha choooooooooo!!!!

Banned

Go with the three watt

Quote Originally Posted by Locatingart View Post
    Go with the three watt
    I thought you left??? You just can't depend on some people to keep their word.

The 3 watt would also be my choice -less bleed over problems.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

I would also agree with the 3 watt. The only good thing about the 10 watt one is trying to get old outer concentric primaries. The 10 watter seems to push the signal through these crap concentrics very well. But if your looking for an everyday locator I'd go with the 3 watter because of the less bleed off.

Years of Experience

We all have the 10s here and the only thing I can say that I like about it is the digital readout screen as far as the high power it dont make a flip of difference if it is on the 3 or the 10 all it does is suck down batteries

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

I agree with T-Bone. The 10 w just eats the batteries. I would prefer to have a three watt. When your batt's go dead and you don't have spare's it suck to go out and by 12 d's.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by UULC View Post
    I agree with T-Bone. The 10 w just eats the batteries. I would prefer to have a three watt. When your batt's go dead and you don't have spare's it suck to go out and by 12 d's.
    Yep if you do go with the 10 and use the high power use the 12v cigar plug and save the batteries I miss the 400 with the hookups that went yo your battery when you were running manhole runs

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

Don't that just piss you off when you are in MH and you lose your signal.

Years of Experience

Yes thats when I say screw it and hit 60 hrtz and roll with it and hope I have it

Default much obliged

thank you all for your opinions, it seems as if the 3 Watt is a no brainer, unless you have to go for a mile and have lots of batteries. thanks again!

nxs

I think the 3-watt has just as many batteries as the 10-watt. So battery savings is nominal. IMO the only real differences (besides the longer distance) is the digital display and the high power mode. The display shows the current output, which helps with grounding. And the high power mode will make a signal run even if the grounding sucks. In the middle of August when the soil is dry as a bone, this feature makes the 10-watt a beautiful thing.

Years of Experience

yes i do agree i believe it heavily depends of the soil type....it is moist down this way so the 3 watt is perfect but in the hills up north la the 10 w i believe is the better choice.....

Default Get the 12 volt adapter

If you are locating standard public facilities the 3 watt is fine for almost everything you will ever do. The 10 watt is good for pushing signal down deep services or difficult materials such as ductile iron pipes. I got the 10 because of all the bells and whistles which is handy for a private locator as you have no idea what you will be locating next. I can get a steel water line at 19 feet down and over 100 feet from the transmitter with the 10 watt.

As for batteries I use the 12 volt adapter where I can and if you use high power settting with high volts you can get a zap if you disconnect in that mode. I connect to the target then set up the unit to high power, and when I am finished the unit is turned off before I disconnect the leads.

Cheers!