Thread: Cold weather and batteries

Years of Experience

Default Cold weather and batteries

Does anyone have any tips on extending the life of the batteries in our equipment during the frigid winter months? The batteries in my RD receiver and transmitter last only 3-4 days before needing to be replaced. Is the only solution bringing all my battery operated equipment inside every night?
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Cold weather and batteries

Bringing your equiptment in is the only solution I've found. It is amazing how fast the batteries go in the winter. I bring my camera in each night to help the batteries but I don't bring my other equiptment in because my wife doesn't like it sitting around the house.

I do keep my equiptment on the passenger seat inbetween locates and this does help out. On my way into work and inbetween locates it helps warm up the batteries.

If you dont mind using some electricity, how about one of those ac-powered cabin heaters that they sell to warm up a car interior ?
    I had one a while ago that had a thermostat on it, so you could set a fairly low temp (so as not to be running full blast all night, unless its super cold).

Dont forget to unplug before you drive off !
    (May you live in interesting times)

We all know why batteries go so quick this time of year (wink, wink,). Now that I can power all my kids and relatives battery powered toys (yeah right). the only thing I do is keep all my batteries wrapped in an emergency blanket that I keep in my truck. It usually gives me an extra 15% - 25% longer use. I'll also keep my next set of camera batteries inside a pocket insulated by several layers. This is all I can do to help, sorry.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

THATS what I am forgetting!! Last winter everything was in the cab with me too, seemed to make a BIG difference!

Years of Experience

hey Big Boots....nothing to add...we don't have any problems down this way with our batteries going dead other than what is considered normal????!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    hey Big Boots....nothing to add...we don't have any problems down this way with our batteries going dead other than what is considered normal????!!!
    Big Boots, Yahoo keeps them inside his paper bag.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.