Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheater Clips

Years of Experience

Default Cheater Clips

What are some of the different ways you have built a cheater clip the main two I have built is to take a RD lead and screw a 1/4'' zip screw through the possitive lead the other is to take a small "C" clamp and run it on a bench grinder filing it to a point (Idea spawned from our famous clip himself) what have any of you came up with cause our famous just skin it practice will eventualy bite us in the but

Years of Experience

I have always considered a cheater clip a very short lead with clips on both ends. Used to jump wires in a test stands,unbond cables in a ped and jump them together, and ground out a wired gas service to bleed through.

I guess everyone has different names for everything. So how many times have you skinned a fiber just to find out it's sheathless?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I have always considered a cheater clip a very short lead with clips on both ends. Used to jump wires in a test stands,unbond cables in a ped and jump them together, and ground out a wired gas service to bleed through.

I guess everyone has different names for everything. So how many times have you skinned a fiber just to find out it's sheathless?

More times than I need tell we have very many of these around here we are finding sorry non locating engineers that come up with this stuff

Years of Experience
    na

Well I wish someone would come up with a way to find the zip-strip/tracer wire so people arent almost cutting the whole fiber in two getting to it to direct connect...

GEEZZ!!!

I seen one the other day I couldnt understand how the knife didnt get any of the fibers...

If you moved the fiber more than a couple inches it may break the fibers inside...

And what happens when harry homeowner bumps it with the lawn mower and they research who had the last ticket there???

GEEEZZZ!!!

Busted!!!

Whether you did or didnt take the knife to it...

Years of Experience

Your right I seen some that I skinned years ago that are soo rusted and corroded I had to ..uhh uhh give it a fresh skin

Years of Experience

i don't know any short cuts.....ring clamp is my answer...... not my final answer though....

Years of Experience

Come on skin it. It feels so good to cut into a fiber just deep enough not to cut it

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Have seen those really fine utility knife blades used slowly and gently poke through the skin and touch the sheath. Then hook your aligator clip onto the blade. That way there is no hole afterwards to let in moisture/allow rust.
    Any time I find a skinned fiber line I usually tape it up with that black electrical tape, that way, it does not rust AND it is not so noticeable.
    Course, if there is no sheath, you are taking a chance but no more than a careless skin.

Also, on P.E. gas service, if I have several in a row to locate, I use one of those metal pin flags, cut the flag off and bend the tip over 180 degrees to form a loop. Then slip the tracer wire into the loop and push the wire into the ground. This causes the current to run up the service and ground itself. Works well EXCEPT in dry ground then you are hooped. We call it a jumper wire.
    It is quicker than moving your box to each gas service.

Years of Experience
    30+

I found some really big set of bed of nails that will fit on on a catv 500 cable.

Years of Experience
    na

Its sad the facility owners dont install convenient direct connect access areas and/or note them on the prints for us....

All the big stink,huffin and puffin, after a high profile damage occurs but did they make an effort to create a safer and more accurate procedure for us by creating greater access to isolate there facilities...

NOT!!!!

Especially now on new installs where everyone has made our job so important these days...

Thats the real shame...

Years of Experience

it seems no matter how we hook to a fiber there's goingto be bleed off.......exp. does matter at that time......

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    What are some of the different ways you have built a cheater clip the main two I have built is to take a RD lead and screw a 1/4'' zip screw through the possitive lead the other is to take a small "C" clamp and run it on a bench grinder filing it to a point (Idea spawned from our famous clip himself) what have any of you came up with cause our famous just skin it practice will eventualy bite us in the but

I have used the C clamp for several years now -has worked fine nearly every time.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I have used the C clamp for several years now -has worked fine nearly every time.
    I am going to try this, sounds cool. I bought a couple of tiny c-clamps at the dollar store today to try it.

(P.S. how come they call it the dollar store when I paid a buck and a half? What ever happened to truth in advertising?)

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    I am going to try this, sounds cool. I bought a couple of tiny c-clamps at the dollar store today to try it.

(P.S. how come they call it the dollar store when I paid a buck and a half? What ever happened to truth in advertising?)

I think it now means it costs at least a dollar. I also have a 4" C clamp that I use sometimes on larger cables in a Handhole without a splice case or at a pole riser because I hate coupling stuff.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    30+

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I think it now means it costs at least a dollar. I also have a 4" C clamp that I use sometimes on larger cables in a Handhole without a splice case or at a pole riser because I hate coupling stuff.
    Something else I have used on risers is a vise grip welding clamp. I have one that will go aroung a 6" riser. It has 12" jaws.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast