Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By second notice
  • 1 Post By overspray

Thread: Cheater Clamp

Default Cheater Clamp

I know this question has been asked time and time again on here. But I'm asking anyways. I think the "C" clamp idea is a ingenious idea and might give this a try sometime, but what about those clips with the spike already built in along with the section with tiny little spikes for hooking up to pairs. Does anyone use this or recommend it? If so, where in the world do I find one? Sorry if this is a repeated question I haven't been through all the post just yet.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Cheater Clamp

Quote Originally Posted by Coughcough View Post
    I know this question has been asked time and time again on here. But I'm asking anyways. I think the "C" clamp idea is a ingenious idea and might give this a try sometime, but what about those clips with the spike already built in along with the section with tiny little spikes for hooking up to pairs. Does anyone use this or recommend it? If so, where in the world do I find one? Sorry if this is a repeated question I haven't been through all the post just yet.
    I dont know where to get them but way back in the day,lol, i used them all the time . To me they worked really well once you got use to how hard to push them so that they dig in . They work so well because they get to them wire directly and not using an inducted signal . Two thumbs up from me .

Years of Experience

Google Bed of Nails Alligator Clips and you will find a wide arrangement of them to purchase.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Try Mueller Elec... JS Popper # Model # JP-33674

This has both the spike and bed of "nails". The spike is up towards the front so you can actually clip a 25pr, not just a drop. Hypothetically of course.

Mke

Years of Experience

I pick them up on ebay slightly used bought 25 for 10 bucks and 3 dollars shipping only had 1 that was in rough shape

Years of Experience

Fluke bed of nails .....amazon.com !!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Thanks guys. I was given one after training and when I got laid off I gave it back and now that I am back at it I would love it. I don't have much new construction in my area but I have a lot of old areas here and sometimes sheath doesn't work worth a crap but pairs do. I found that with that clip it would scream for me almost always.

Years of Experience

The alligator clips/bed of nails clamps are useless for anything larger than a 16 pr cable. You might get it to pierce the sheath on a 25 pr cable once or twice. After that, most of the ones I used had bent tips and frames. Since most utilities, and therefore most locating companies, consider exposing the sheath on any cable a big "NO, NO". You could lose your job if you are caught or even suspected of doing this. BUT, sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do to get the locate done.

Rumor has it that a very small eye screw (#14 ,smaller if you can find them) works very well for the difficult to locate copper cables and those shitty, unbonded, "no one gave a rats ass when it was put in the ground", fibers that have no bonds or bonds that don't run because no one cared to install them correctly or simply reattach a bond and nut back on the splice case that just happens to be 12 feet below the street in a manhole that has

You can use your alligator clip to get a starter hole going Then, attach your lead to eye screw and turn transmitter on. SLOWLY begin to turn the eye screw (with lead attached) until the transmitter screams with delight, letting you know you have hit paydirt. Lastly, carefully back out the eye-screw and dab the tiny hole with liquid electrical tape and wipe off what's left on the cable. No harm, no foul............UNLESS, you happen to try this on an air pressure cable or dielectric fiber. Make damn sure you know what the cable codes mean for the utility your locating and if possible, verify the code given on the print with what you see with your eyes.

One more thing............I forgot to mention earlier ..........This tip will self destruct in 5 seconds!
    phoenix827 likes this.

Just find a spare pair in the cable and connect to that, it will work better than trying to locate a old cable with bad sheath. Some times it is the only way to locate a old lead pulp,att tech showed me that trick.
    phoenix827 likes this.
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

Years of Experience

The leads that came with my Utiliguard keeping breaking at the bolt under the boot. And my boots are falling apart. Ideas ? Tips?

Years of Experience

have your company call the ditchwitch rep and tell them about your issues and they will get you fixed up .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato