Thread: CATV Drops

Years of Experience

Default CATV Drops

Out here they replace the same drops to the same houses year after year. I've always wondered why the CATV companies don't pay a little extra to have the drops buried in conduit right from the house to the tv ped. This way if the drop goes bad they can just pull a new one through or if someone cuts the drop/conduit they could just repair the conduit and then pull a new drop through.

Do any of the CATV companies out there do this or does it just seem to smart for a utility company to figure out.

Sometimes I think that utility companies should hire retired locators as engineers because none of their engineers seem to have a clue.

Years of Experience

Default Re: CATV Drops

Get this here they have a joint trench aggrement with the power company to bury a little conduit to the house for the drop but they still come and plow in a drop to the house and dont use the conduit..what the hell

it all depends if the mexicans feel like buring the conduit or not.

Good point Golden... our catv companies here just bury new drops even if there are just disconnected drops at the house & the ped...

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    Out here they replace the same drops to the same houses year after year. I've always wondered why the CATV companies don't pay a little extra to have the drops buried in conduit right from the house to the tv ped. This way if the drop goes bad they can just pull a new one through or if someone cuts the drop/conduit they could just repair the conduit and then pull a new drop through.

Do any of the CATV companies out there do this or does it just seem to smart for a utility company to figure out.

Sometimes I think that utility companies should hire retired locators as engineers because none of their engineers seem to have a clue.

Hey careful there Golden wouldn't want to hurt an engineers feelings now would we? Those engineers went to uni. for up to seven years to get that dumb. That's a lot of time and money! Give em credit for persistence if nothing else!

Seriously, it is a pain in the butt as I seem to be doing a number of cable drops in some of the brand new areas. Here one company installs catv, phone,power in one trench. But, if any of them fails...as often catv seems to, they dig a new trench and do not necessarily follow the old trench line. Hit waiting to happen. Heck of a good idea if they could just bury a conduit containing all three then puh a new one in if needed.
    Last edited by underground quester; June 30th, 2008 at 12:45 AM.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

they were doing this a while back with cox but now all these new companies buying out the old comp. and it's same ole same ole just put the cable in the ground 2 in and if it goes bad don't matter we won't be here next year anyway........that is my opinion

Don't you just love the "hit line" call and get there and find out it is an abandoned line... gotta love it!...

Quote Originally Posted by gypsygirl View Post
    Don't you just love the "hit line" call and get there and find out it is an abandoned line... gotta love it!...
    Especially when the hit line is about half the size of the existing house service.So obvious sometimes.And of course their tv and or tel still works lol

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    Hey careful there Golden wouldn't want to hurt an engineers feelings now would we? Those engineers went to uni. for up to seven years to get that dumb. That's a lot of time and money!
    The engineers at VA Power were mostly Art or History Majors. Don't remember but one who was a real Engineer.
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Years of Experience

It's pretty funny in my area. In new construction sites when the power is buried to the home they put a tv and tel drop joint with the electric and coil them up by the electric meter. If the tv or tel drop is buried with an inch of dirt the lazy tech will just lay a new one on top the ground and send it in for a new bury ticket instead of getting his hands dirty and using the one that is already there.

Iddon't know when I last saw a Catv drop repaired. Like Golden said they just lay out a new one and have a contractor come bury it - without a ticket.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

are you kidding do they actually repair tv drops????? not in this state....every house here has at least 10 dead drops..........tv and phone