Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CATV / Bleed-off

Years of Experience

Default Re: CATV / Bleed-off

wow ..........i must be the only one that hooks up to catv drop and locates everything(all that Wing mentioned above) on that property..........including pet radars!!!!! J/J hahhahahhahahhahhahhaahha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yahoo.... we are not supposed let the newbs know that you can hook up to the CATV or phone drop and locate the water service =)

mke

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    wow ..........i must be the only one that hooks up to catv drop and locates everything(all that Wing mentioned above) on that property..........including pet radars!!!!! J/J hahhahahhahahhahhahhaahha

BS!!

I can see being able to locate out the power or telephone if they go in opposite directions of the catv drop. I do it all the time...phone goes around the house power goes towards the front so I'll locate the phone drop and main at the road then catch the power service as I walk back to the meter. But I still have to connect to the meter to find the main power cable or either 60 cycle if possible. But you arent gonna find the mains or all other cables on the property just by being hooked up to the catv drop. Especially if the services all run on the same side coming from the house.

I simply disconnect all ground wires at the electric meter, locate the CATV drop 1st, telephone 2nd, power 3rd and then gas , which normally is on the opp side of the house. I rarely have trouble with bleed-off unless the power is bleeding off on the CATV. If you don't get continuity on the CATV drop it normally means it is not connected at the ped.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I simply disconnect all ground wires at the electric meter, locate the CATV drop 1st, telephone 2nd, power 3rd and then gas , which normally is on the opp side of the house. I rarely have trouble with bleed-off unless the power is bleeding off on the CATV. If you don't get continuity on the CATV drop it normally means it is not connected at the ped.
    All that being only connected to the catv drop? Dont see it. Ive tried it and only able to get power if runs opposite of the way the drop runs or if they two are seperated enough for no bleed off. The phone 99% time I have to hook up to run it.

I'm sorry if my post mis-led you, that's the sequence I direct connect, or couple, each utility after I have disconnected all ground wires going to the power meter.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

spray...yea I wasnt paying attention to who responded. thought it was Yahoo responding to what I commented on what he posted.

you're post is understood now.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Paint, bleeding off of course works better when their is speration between utilities, and each situation has a different set of results, but I have been able to bleed off on electrical services that are within 1 1/2' to 2' from the line i'm connected to, but I don't take that for granted and usually hook up to the Electrical as well.

mke

Years of Experience

You can hook up at the gas and sometimes locate everything. Hook one lead to the tracer or riser and the other to the pipe on the house side of the meter. The pipe on the house side should be bonded to the h20 which should be bonded to all wiring in the house as well.

If everything has seperation, you can, depending on circumstances, locate every utility.

I don't recommend this, but if you are experienced enough and really know how your scope works, this can be done. I've seen old shool locators do this while chanting the disclaimer "Don't ever let anyone catch you doing this."

Remember: no matter what else you do CYA.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12