Thread: can u use a ring clamp under water?

Years of Experience

Default can u use a ring clamp under water?

someone asked me this today and i was stumped

Years of Experience

Default Re: can u use a ring clamp under water?

Yes I use them under water in manholes all the time. I've never had a problem with doing this. I've used Dynatel,Rycom, and RD's couplers under water many times.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

YES!

I have done this many times without incident as long as you dry out the unit afterwards.

I use a metrotech 9860 and the inductive clamp that came with it.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

The RD clamp works great when submerged.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    The RD clamp works great when submerged.

Steve, I used the RD400 & RD4000 for over 8 years and never had a problem under water. Here in the coast the manholes are full of water 90% of the time and we only have one water pump at the office. So we tend to go fishing for cables. On the other hand my problem with this ring clamps is with the hardware connection (plug).

Years of Experience

used the ringclamp so many times underwater that didn't know it could be used any other way.......hahahhahahhah????!!!!!! i use the subsite of course..... big yes to your question!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

HUH! I was told that it will work, but it ALSO tones out the water as well. If thats true, how o you follow a duct if all the conduits are full, and they ALL have a tone? Will the one you are clamped on be strong enough to stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix827 View Post
    HUH! I was told that it will work, but it ALSO tones out the water as well. If thats true, how o you follow a duct if all the conduits are full, and they ALL have a tone? Will the one you are clamped on be strong enough to stand out?
    It's sort of like dropping your red lead into the water - everything in the manhole that is grounded at the other end will pick up some of the signal. Usually the run with the largest amount of conductor with the best ground will pull more of the signal. I would never do it except in an emergency or for re-mark purposes where I was familiar with the area.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Wag
    Years of Experience

I've found that coupling a cable under water does put by far the strongest signal on that cable. Unlike trying to direct connect under water, where the water allows the signal to disperse on everything, when coupling I get my signal to concentrate on what's w/i my coupler. No problems distinguishing betw. the N. cable and the S. cable in a 2-duct wide run.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    It's sort of like dropping your red lead into the water - everything in the manhole that is grounded at the other end will pick up some of the signal. Usually the run with the largest amount of conductor with the best ground will pull more of the signal. I would never do it except in an emergency or for re-mark purposes where I was familiar with the area.
    Shhhh! Weee don't everrrr do thaaaat.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Yes you can.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by mr. null View Post
    someone asked me this today and i was stumped
    without a shadow of a doubt. today I had to locate a duct run, a 48 ct at&t fiber, and 600, and 2 900's in the same trench, out of a manhole that, when I opened it, it had water up to 4 ft below the manhole. I had to fish out the cables.............it seems impossible when you first mess around with it and try it, but there's actually an art to fishing for cables in a manhole full of water with a ring clamp, but people who don't locate don't understand....

kinda like how people who watch boxing, hate to see guys clinch up..but they do not know that a clinch is a very important variable in a boxing match. If you take a big punch, the guy's gonna follow up with a combination of his bread and butter. To prevent that, and also control the tempo of a boxing match, you clinch, allowing YOU to control the tempo, instead of getting tagged by a 5 punch combination. Clinching is a ****ing art. Watch ricky hatton fight. He clinches like a mother****er, but he breaks the clinch himself, plants his feet for a powerpunch parallel to his opponent, and unleashes huge body shots on the break. Like, he'll clinch, and then get out of the clinch, quickly move to his right (sidestep), and throw a massive left hook right in his opponent's breadbasket. The refs don't give a **** about that. If you'll punch out of a clinch, they're fine with you tying a guy up . what pro refs hate is when guys clinch just to survive, or to be lazy. but when clinching is a part of a fight plan, they appreciate it. See John Ruiz fights....... Ugly as hell to watch, but he was a force in the HW division for a LONG TIME just due to his clinch ability , and ability to control the tempo of a fight.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

and just because I'm talking about boxing, I felt a sweet correlation cross my mind that refers to locators, and correlates to boxers..

it's about damages.

Every great locator I know, has insane, retarded damages at some point or another in their career. It's gonna happen. the odds are stacked against you.

At the same time, a boxer can never achieve greatness without taking punches. It is an inevitable fact. Two results come from any kind of boxing match. Brain damage, and fight experience. It's the truth, regardless of how many stupid people tell you it's 'ok' to get hit in the head, (lol) I've had guys recite the ****ing national anthem, like in Christmas Vacation, (that old grandma) when it was time to say prayer, in a boxing gym. This guy was a punchy mofo. But he had sparred with Riddick Bowe and got the shit kicked out of him on multiple occassions...whatever.

My point is, a locator won't become great unless he has those few learning experiences, much like a boxer can't prepare for a world title fight, much less enter a world title fight, without eating a few punches himself. But a boxer identifies the angles the shots are coming from, and adapts...much like a locator gets a cable smoked, and adapts.... :-)

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    See John Ruiz fights....... Ugly as hell to watch, but he was a force in the HW division for a LONG TIME just due to his clinch ability , and ability to control the tempo of a fight.
    Until he ran into this guy, "The Tuaman", the best Heavyweight boxer, or boxer, period, to emerge from Samoan heritage......Check out this youtube clip............One of the most brutal KO's I've seen, aside from Mercer-Morrison.

ruiz getting ko'd by tuaman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M5mPGbfzIc

(My favorite first round KO of all time, in heavyweight history. I love how David Tua jabbed, and then stepped in with that left hook right on the button to start the beginning of the end for John Ruiz. And you gotta love the way he follows up. That's a bad mother****er right there. That's where I failed in boxing. I'm a nice guy. When I see a guy's eyes roll around in the back of his head, I let him off the hook. Tua straight up went after that ****er and had him horizontal for 15 minutes...............lol that's my #1 ko of all time, in hw history.

mercer ko's morrison (1st rd ko) (my #1 most brutal heavyweight KO of all time)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8Ozkklz41g