Thread: Best Make and Model Transmitter?

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Best Make and Model Transmitter?

Who do you feel has the best Transmitter overall and why?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Best Make and Model Transmitter?

I'm not sure, but I Know it's not my vivax. I wanted to try to restart this thread to see what you guys think.

Years of Experience

The best transmitter depends on what's most important to you.

One feature I think is important is display of the signal strength, not just sound but a number. This allows the know if you have the correct settings before leaving the transmitter to locate.
    Radiodetection Tx-1, Tx-3, Tx-3 are weather proof and include a standard 3 year warranty.
    Strong signal with frequencies to pick the one that fits the conditions best.
    Utility Locators for Underground Pipe Cable
    Brian Moss
    brianmoss@rjmcompany.com
    RJM Utility Equipment Sales

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

In general the more bells and whistles the better.

Multi-frequency .

Power level settings.

Nice to have the ability to light the readouts at night.

Water resistant.

Strong case that will not break, crack easily.

Forget a rechargeable battery. When the in the case circuit fails you have a problem and when the power cord fails you have a problem, usually hard to tell which is the problem. Better to just use conventional batteries. You can stop at any supermarket and pick some up if they power down and you did not bring spares.

the Vivax is pretty good at those thing but for one thing, Made in China. Great design but cheap construction that spends way too much time on too many trips to the repair shop.

Years of Experience

SUBSITE !!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sticking to that story !!!! it is a great machine for accuracy sound and weight !!!! BUT , I would need it to have the radio function.....heehee...........LOL
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

The gas company here uses Subsite for in-house stuff and they all hate them. The gas contract workers have some machine IDK who makes it, but they connect and the receiver is just a handheld box they have to bend over and hold it near the ground, they don't like it either. The pipeline guys use RD equipment like us (TX-3/10).

At SM&P I had an RD 400 1w that I located everything with. It only had 512/8 and High/Low power (only time I couldn't locate a line was once, b/c I didn't have a clamp so I called the nearby locator). I loved that machine. When i worked for the city sewer dept. we had an OLD ditch witch that worked surprisingly well, not sure how good the ones today are though.

I like RD equipment because you get many options (frequencies, power levels, detailed readouts, etc) and since you can clamp, direct connect, or set the box down you can troubleshoot a bit and the frequencies don't go so high that newbies would get into trouble messing around. RD seems more rugged and don't seem to screw up as often to me, especially since they're out in rain and really get tossed around by us contract guys all day. I love the bells and whistles list of the metrotech, but I've heard from everyone that has used them that they're cheap made..which is sad since they used to be advertised as 'made by locators, for locators'

As a personal opinion I prefer RadioDetection. I've had 1 watt RD400, RD4000, and two RD 7000+. I still use my 400 transmitter in tandem with my TX3 daily and its probably a decade old. We have two guys who have Ditch Witch 950RTs, they just feel relatively cheap and boast an uninformative display that seems akin to if a Motorola Startac was to be a locator. In second I like the Vivax vLocPro2, but that's likely since it's pretty much a yellow RD.

Years of Experience

I like the one that works after getting wet. Any type, as long as it works! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by sauroke View Post
    I like the one that works after getting wet. Any type, as long as it works! Lol
    Speaking of which, that reminds me. I left my raincoat sitting on a Cat D10 at 7 this morning, wonder if that guy is still laying there.

Years of Experience

RD tx 10 and rd 8000 i know when im not on the right facility and when i am. I had a locate that anther locator said was right and i knew right off the bat they were wrong. Learn it live it love it. I just know when im wrong on a locate and when im right

Jealous of your iLoc, and current direction.