Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Ask The Driller

Years of Experience

Default Re: Ask The Driller

Gotta go with Superman the line pipe whatever is owned by the utility no the land owner. I can almost promise if somebody gets caught opening a street light cross box etc in my area you are gonna hear about it.

we were told that windscreen wanted us to go to every ticket whether it was clear or not even if we knew it was 1/4 mile out of the extent. we could not physically do it and it was pointless to do so tkns told them that they would have to double the staff in order to do so so tkns told them they could do it at a higher rate due to them having to buy new trucks equipment and hire more people. they never heard back from whom ever at windscreen then a couple months later sent tkns a notice of windscreen terminating the contract dec 1st then changed to nov 18th. i am only assuming windscreen wanted it this way because of so much new fiber that has been in the ground for over a year not being locating and or hit because they are so far behind getting the new loops in to the local one call system grids. we dealt with this bs almost daily where we would either get calls from contractors or or boss about fiber almost being hit due to us not ever getting a ticket for their job(s) so we would have to drop what we were doing to go get it marked for them to to windscreens constant screw ups. some of those tickets were also almost 2 weeks over due. usic is already there on site so i think windstream just decided to kill to birds with one stone and have them locate it to minimize the head aches of pissed off contractors who had to wait for the windstream locators to get there and mark the fibers. but with the way windscreen screens their tickets it will prob be more of a head ache for usic locators especially when windscreen rarely sent updates for prints. we mapped all the new loops that they did not know were in but we knew but if we never got a ticket for it then we did not know any work was going on especially when peters or custom were doing the work for windscreen. in the areas up in northern il, i knew more where the existing and non registered loops were then the engineers and route techs.
    union_YES likes this.

Years of Experience

I'm a USICer in Northwest Indiana and I got a big one running down the tracks in my area. The problem I have is that the prints we have only show buried spots. I'd like to know the aerial also so I know what to look for if it dips down a pole and isn't on print yet.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    I hate to break this to you JC, This is a locating website and the largest ratio of utility locators are "Public" or contract locators. Very few are "in-house" or "Private". With that being said. most of the locators you talk to will have the same opinions of boring contractors and will push for you calling a Private locator.

First and formost, when you hire a private locator (typically) you will get someone who doesn't care about anything but what you need and when you need it. They don't care about who owns what, they concentrate on what is in the way of the company that is paying them $75+ an hour with minimum site time. They typically will open vaults, manholes, junction boxes etc... where most public guys if allowed will open, but there are some who convienently don't have anything to open a man hole, or are told they cannot open any electrical vaults by their company.

Most Locators want to do a good job, however they are handcuffed at every turn. You have to maintain a 2 ticket an hour ratio no matter drive time or length of locate. You are to respond to any emergency locate within an hour. You are to call all contractors on late tickets. Don't forget your mandatory Lunch and break times. By the time a locator gets you your job site the main thing they are thinking is how they are going to work 12hrs today and still not be done with all the tickets they left with..... again. They are taught tricks to responding to locate requests.... "that is a fenced facility, everything within the fence is private, not our responsibility..... Call a private locator." Or Your locating instructions on the ticket are incorrect, you will have to call in an updated ticket with correct marking instructions. Or how about, "I've marked it where I got a signal, My map only shows one, but I'm getting a signal all over, so I marked it."

Most of these responses are not a sign of shitty locators, its a sign of tired locators. Typically, in most industries you will get higher wages when you take on more responsibility or liability. This does not apply to locating. They pay you just enough so you can't leave. Not any more, not any less.

It is hard to take the high road when your money is on the line, but if you treat the locators better, you will get a better response. And I know you will probably state, "They have to earn my respect." No, no they don't. As people they should already have it. Treat them nice, and they will remember and try harder for you.

Or, you can take a leave of absence and work for a locating company, get the experience you need, then come back. When you are back you will know the hook ups, and signs to look for as well as the equipment to use.

You may have a new insight to locators as well.

mke
    This

Great job as always MKE.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345