Thread: Anybody ever brick the rd8000?

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Anybody ever brick the rd8000?

I was doing a firmware upgrade on my pdl 8000 with centros manager and halfway through the upgrade it stopped, started again and it is just blank and now there is no usb connection between the pc and the rd8000. There has to be some way to force a bin file or something to restore it? Thanks

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: Anybody ever brick the rd8000?

Well even though my PDL was fine before the firmware upgrade the factory has no way to reprogram the usb chip (rd8000 do not have a serial port) so there is no communication or flash possible and the whole main board has to be replaced, $700 plus. Not like near the cost of a new one but ouch. Wish I had just left the firmware alone. But I always mess with them so I would do it again as it's the first to ever go bad in the process. And since it was going to go in to the factory I took the whole thing apart just to see if I could solder a new usb chip on the main board but decided not to.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Anybody ever brick the rd8000?

How can they charge over $700 for that? And I can't believe that they can't reprogram the usb chip - sounds like tosh to me (I'm a former techie). How did they manufacture it in the first place? I heard somewhere that the rd8000 could be bricked easily by just switching it on.