Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Accuracy Rating

Years of Experience

Default Re: Accuracy Rating

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Edward View Post
    Ok. We have a distribution center with fibers running between buildings. Could be up to 75 buildings, if its not on the prints we have it in our contract we are not at fault if a line gets hit that isn't mapped. Ive yet to see one hit because of this but how do most locating companies handle this? I mean that's excepting a lot of liability for something impossible to catch if you weren't around when it was buried. I know a locating company that has a catv contract that has little to no prints and they basically have a non at fault clause and the cable company is cool with just repairing instead of paying an engineering firm to update prints.
    Greetings Tom Edward! I am a USIC locator that has spent most of his 18 year tenure in one area. I am blessed with a 600 acre business complex loaded with telephone conduit packages with many telephone copper/fiber laterals and CATV fiber laterals. It has taken me many years of digging through countless closet spaces and basement cubby-holes to make any sense of the cluttered telephone prints. You ought to see the shit for telephone prints I have to deal with there. It's mind-blowing! One of the complex occupiers are the dumb-faks and a-holes of the Department of Homeland Security. Geezus!........... But I digress............

My point, I would be held accountable for any CATV fiber cut on this complex; even though 8 of the 9 CATV fibers meandering through the complex are not on any paper or electronic print. The reasoning - there are CATV fiber hand holes and CATV fiber dips on power poles everywhere on the complex. For every locate request on the complex, a locator must take the extra time to make a visual scan, pop lids and clamp the dips, if need be, to get it right. Add to the reasoning, I located for the placement of each CATV fiber on the complex that spanned 1999 to 2007.

In 2009, I captured a young CATV engineer on the complex. I explained the situation of 8 of his CATV fibers are not on prints. I showed him each hand hole and dip not on prints. He took copious notes. I was present when he called the lead CATV engineer on his work cell phone advising of the missing 8 CATV fibers on prints. I heard through the cell phone one word, "BULLSHIT!" Nothing ever became of that chance meeting of that young CATV engineer. Apparently, to this very day, I am the only sumsabitch on the planet that knows exactly where all the communication lines are located on the complex.

I have not had a single at-fault communication line damage on the complex to date. Lord knows, there have been many opportunities to get one or more cut through the years........... just sayin'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Wingfoot; May 24th, 2015 at 03:43 AM.
    phoenix827 likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CableAvoidanceTool View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    WOW!!! How the hell did they get the water to flow STRAIGHT upwards for this?
    That's not a water main, Einstein.
    Greetings jayc! Easy there.......... My first thought when seeing that structure was a water main also. Maybe a gas main. Who, but the local utility locators, would know for sure it is used only for holding traffic signals?........... just sayin'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Greetings jayc! Easy there.......... My first thought when seeing that structure was a water main also. Maybe a gas main. Who, but the local utility locators, would know for sure it is used only for holding traffic signals?........... just sayin'.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wingfoot is right, nothing flowing through this pipe, that I know of. I just think it is a cool picture of an intersection to show when locators joke about "overhead water/gas mains"....
    First time I drove through this intersection it just awed me, being a locator...
    daman1 and Wingfoot like this.

Years of Experience

Greetings Tom Edward! I am a USIC locator that has spent most of his 18 year tenure in one area. I am blessed with a 600 acre business complex loaded with telephone conduit packages with many telephone copper/fiber laterals and CATV fiber laterals. It has taken me many years of digging through countless closet spaces and basement cubby-holes to make any sense of the cluttered telephone prints. You ought to see the shit for telephone prints I have to deal with there. It's mind-blowing! One of the complex occupiers are the dumb-faks and a-holes of the Department of Homeland Security. Geezus!........... But I digress............

My point, I would be held accountable for any CATV fiber cut on this complex; even though 8 of the 9 CATV fibers meandering through the complex are not on any paper or electronic print. The reasoning - there are CATV fiber hand holes and CATV fiber dips on power poles everywhere on the complex. For every locate request on the complex, a locator must take the extra time to make a visual scan, pop lids and clamp the dips, if need be, to get it right. Add to the reasoning, I located for the placement of each CATV fiber on the complex that spanned 1999 to 2007.

In 2009, I captured a young CATV engineer on the complex. I explained the situation of 8 of his CATV fibers are not on prints. I showed him each hand hole and dip not on prints. He took copious notes. I was present when he called the lead CATV engineer on his work cell phone advising of the missing 8 CATV fibers on prints. I heard through the cell phone one word, "BULLSHIT!" Nothing ever became of that chance meeting of that young CATV engineer. Apparently, to this very day, I am the only sumsabitch on the planet that knows exactly where all the communication lines are located on the complex.

I have not had a single at-fault communication line damage on the complex to date. Lord knows, there have been many opportunities to get one or more cut through the years........... just sayin'.

Im lucky in this specific dc the prints have great nomenclature and are up to date now. Do you have a lot of hand holes where lets say like 10 different fibers enter but only a few are in a splice case? Its like a puzzle for me, and being that ive got the most experience now in this center I know where to get hookup points. Where it gets tricky is when they enter a building and the fibers for some reason terminate in a node that's 20 feet up on the wall. Then back 2000ft back to the c.o. which I have no access to. its actually a fun place to locate once I got used to it. I feel bad when my coworkers have to go their for an emergency in the middle of the night though.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Is all that Fiber actually metallic enough to find it with electromagnetic instruments? What happens if it's a fiber that doesn't have a metallic sheath? How would you even know? Just by the bad signal?

You shouldn't be liable if it's not able to carry a signal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12