Thread: 810 Receiver Problems?

Years of Experience

Default 810 Receiver Problems?

Anybody having problems with the Metrotech 810 receivers? We have some units that just turn off and come back on without notice when locating, then they default to the depth mode and start showing different depth readings like you are on a different signal. We sent a few into Tracer Electronics but they have only said they see a low battery issue (we changed out all batteries and the units still malfunctioned this same way). We purchased these units in 2007 and 2008.

Anybody else seeing anything like this?
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: 810 Receiver Problems?

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Anybody having problems with the Metrotech 810 receivers? We have some units that just turn off and come back on without notice when locating, then they default to the depth mode and start showing different depth readings like you are on a different signal. We sent a few into Tracer Electronics but they have only said they see a low battery issue (we changed out all batteries and the units still malfunctioned this same way). We purchased these units in 2007 and 2008.

Anybody else seeing anything like this?
    When the "depth test" button fails this will happen. I believe it is a simple foil switch and it can get worn and do this, it will give itself the command to test depth.

Also the receiver is very vulnerable to water infiltration and I think water getting into the button can also result in this problem.

Below I will cut and paste in some of my notes on the 810 receiver and water:

The receiver has one major weak point, it is very vulnerable to water.

When water gets in the receiver instead of going ‘boop boop boop’ in a regular rhythm and strong sound it get an irregular sound that is very weak and thready sounding. In addition the left or right indicator will start to either drift back and forth or swing to one side and wander about.

The smallest amount of water will render the receiver inoperable and the most vulnerable part of this is the “head” where the digital read out is.

Water will enter the face of the hear around where the little plastic windows are for the digital read out and the direction needle.

Water will enter here from the small seams in the face of the head, around where the little case on the back joins the head. In addition that little case tends to develop cracks or small holes get knocked into it. Just a drop of water on the right spot on the head will knock the receiver out of commission.

The second water vulnerable part is the large square part of the body which houses the speaker and several large circuit boards. This is less vulnerable than the head of the receiver for water entry but just as bad if water makes it inside to those circuit boards.

Keeping the water out;

The very vulnerable head comes with a small clear plastic faceplate cover that snaps over the head covering the direction indicator and the digital read out. This works well at keeping water from seeping through the faceplate but does nothing to keep water from coming through where the back case meets the face plate, any cracks in the case or from around the single screw that holds this little cover on. The plastic cover tends to get lost easily so do not count on finding it inside your equipment case unless you get a brand new 810. If you can get hold of one of these snap it on the head every time you are exposed to a light rain or there is snow that can be deposited onto the 810 by your hands.

Water sources beyond rain are wet ground / grass / bushes / trees from morning dew, after the rain has let up or snow. Just setting you 810 down on the ground, which you will do, can get water inside either the head or the large circuit board case.

You can work in a light rain if you can keep your 810 dry and here is how. From a grocery store buy a package of large clear plastic storage bags. Make sure they are large enough the place over the handle end of the 810 and reach well past the circuit board case. Anytime you are in a wet environment bag your 810, keep marking and keep your production levels up. Buying this relatively inexpensive item will make you money by increasing your productivity.

Dealing with a wet 810.

Your 810 has gotten water into it and now you cannot locate. The 810 can be dried out but you must make sure your company’s procedures allow you to do this. This involves opening either the circuit board case , the head or both. Many times the circuit board case has a seal tape put onto it by the last firm that did repairs or calibrations on it. Opening the case breaks the seal and voids any warranty / guarantee so you have so check with your foreman before opening the 810. Even without a warranty deal your opening the 810, either the case or the head, involves company policy which you may not have been informed off, check with your foreman. If told not to open the case the only thing you can do is turn it in for a working 810.

Okay, if you are allowed to open the case here is what you co. If it is the end of the day take it home, take it inside and open both the head and case so it will dry out overnight.

If during the day and you need to get back to locating open the affected section, usually the head. If you remove the case from the head clean out the inside of the case to remove any water. Now put the 810 on the passenger side floor of your truck with the heater turned on and set to ‘floor’. The heater will act like a blow dryer and dry out the 810. Put it all together and go back to work once it has dried out. It may take a couple of tries because the 810 is not sealed against dust either and that fine dust from the construction sites is inside and on everything. When water hit’s the dust you have a layer of mud that retains the water so the water can dry out around the circuit where the problem is and then water migrates to that point again for another section of ‘mud’. If you use the truck to commute from home still take the 810 inside and leave it open overnight to further dry out, provided of course the 810 normally comes home with you.

Dropped receiver;

You have dropped your receiver and now it does not work. The most common problem is one of the circuit boards inside the case has popped out of it’s socket. To put it back you have to open the case but only if you are allowed to open the case. Once the case is open just gently push on the ends of the circuit boards to reseat any loose ones.

Left or Right to signal indicator not centered.

Correcting this problem depends on your firm’s rules about making adjustments to locating equipment. You need to check and see what company policy is on this before opening any locate equipment up and making any adjustments.

Sometimes the Left or Right to signal indicator will get out of whack and not be centered when turned off. Remove the case from the back of the head. The rear of the indicator has a small plastic lever sticking out of the back. Moving the lever to the left or right will center the needle. Usually there is a small piece of tape holding the little lever in place. If there is no tape a small piece of scotch tape will hle it in place.

The extendable antenna.

There is nothing you can do with the antenna except treat it correctly. Do not ‘flick’ the antenna out, do it gently by hand.

When storing the receiver in the truck between locates or overnight lay it own so no uneven pressure is placed on the antenna. Uneven pressure overtime results in the antenna twisting and the two antenna cross bars get out of alignment.

Calibration ; The 810 is required to be calibrated from time to time. Calibration requires a lab bench top and oscilloscope to read and set the frequency. There is nothing a locator can do but send it into the shop for this.

My 810 receiver just died. It was after a rain. I had it covered with a plastic bag. After the rain had completely stopped, I used it on another locate and it worked fine. Then the next locate, it did just what pro discribed. It had a irregular sound and weak sounding. I am hoping that it will work again and I can get it back. If it was because of water, it was very little because it was enclosed in plastic very well. But I guess not good enought. Supervisor has it now and I have not heard yet what went wrong with it but I DO WANT IT BACK.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ctdon1952 View Post
    My 810 receiver just died. It was after a rain. I had it covered with a plastic bag. After the rain had completely stopped, I used it on another locate and it worked fine. Then the next locate, it did just what pro discribed. It had a irregular sound and weak sounding. I am hoping that it will work again and I can get it back. If it was because of water, it was very little because it was enclosed in plastic very well. But I guess not good enought. Supervisor has it now and I have not heard yet what went wrong with it but I DO WANT IT BACK.
    Just laying the receiver down in wet grass (wet from rain, dew or lawnsprinkers) can be enough for a small amount of water to get into the wrong place. I have had it happen many times and make effort to avoid this. But it will happen from time to time.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey Ovus, PL is right its a short on the depth button. Its a pretty easy fix if your comfortable with repairing the 810.....which i'm not so I send it to a Tech. Usually they will repair and calibrate for a reasonable ammount.

When the 810 stops working its because it is taking a depth reading, and it goes blank usually cause your in the middle of your sweeping for utilities. Mine does this from time to time. but it doesn't bother me enough to take it in. As for it being caused by wet weather.... usually the speaker goes, or the LCD display, sometimes the wires will corode if not dried properly.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Hey Ovus, PL is right its a short on the depth button. Its a pretty easy fix if your comfortable with repairing the 810.....which i'm not so I send it to a Tech. Usually they will repair and calibrate for a reasonable ammount.

When the 810 stops working its because it is taking a depth reading, and it goes blank usually cause your in the middle of your sweeping for utilities. Mine does this from time to time. but it doesn't bother me enough to take it in. As for it being caused by wet weather.... usually the speaker goes, or the LCD display, sometimes the wires will corode if not dried properly.

mke
    The depth button looks like the foil type. The contacts are two strips of foil separated by a sponge rubber like material. Pressing the button pushes the foil together completing the circuit. That sponge like material between the two foils wears out, a piece of foil torn by repetitive use allows contact to be made and results in the described problem. Maybe water in the switch will do the same thing.

Yes all of the above are correct on this with moisture being the most damaging. I have a couple 810's and used a few over the years that have done this and it has always turned out to be moisture exposure. One thing that has to be remembered when using these units in the rain particularly in summer when it is humid is always leave your clear plastic covering loose with some type of venting. If tied tightly it will still build its own condensation from the batteries in the unit and even though the heat from these are minimal they still produce heat therefore condensation in the bags also condinsation that you will not see but inside of the units themselves. Many eon's ago when I recieved my first NEW directional drill rig in Atlanta it came with a "state of the art" reciever of it's own so I could see the same thing as the person that had the locator for the drill head ( boy did I feel special) They had a plastic cover over it for incleament weather but it also had vent holes in it to prevent condensation. Funny how I did not even remember this till the question was raised . Pfffft could have been the next hoola hoop millionaire. Naaay would not have as much fun