Thread: 3watt or 10watt transmitter

Years of Experience

Default 3watt or 10watt transmitter

Is a 3watt transmitter good enough or is 10 watt required I locate power cables. Trace wires steel pipes, copper phone cables and cast iron water mains

Years of Experience

Default Re: 3watt or 10watt transmitter

I run a RD TX-3 transmitter which is 3 watts. I hardly ever bump it up to full power.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I use a 10 watt RD7000, I use just one bar which is around 2.5 watts and find I can locate most gas , electric, catv and phone. On deep or difficult locates it is nice to have the 10 watts. like high frequency, high wattage can cause problems too if not used properly

Years of Experience

I also run an RD7000 receiver.

Years of Experience

Thank you for the info everyone

Years of Experience

Hey brehaut - For the last 14+ years as a locator, I have always used Radio Detection equipment for my daily work. My preferred transmitter has been the T1 one-watt for locating telephone cables, cable television lines, short distance fibers, electricity lines, all plastic and small diameter steel gas lines in the suburbs.
    The day I started locating gas lines and water lines in the oldest part of my city, I realized quickly my one-watt transmitter just didn't have the shit required for locating old cast iron mains and old ductile iron mains. I was issued a five-watt transmitter that worked well enough to keep me out of trouble. I found there is a learning curve required when finding very old and very large pipes made of shitty material. I learned witching can work and induction became my friend!

I've since graduated from the RD five-watt transmitter to the Radio Detection TX-10 ten-watt transmitter. Very little gets by me now!

In my personal opinion, size really matters! A 3-watt transmitter is like watching fresh amatuers. But a 10-watt transmitter is like having Ron Jeremy in control! Just sayin'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Keep in mind that the FCC has mandated that all frequencies being broadcast for the purposes of locating underground utilities above 45 khz are limited to 1 watt of output power. If you go above 1 watt, you must use it for a frequency lower than 45 khz. The transmitters nowadays will automatically adjust this for you.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng