Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By irguy
  • 1 Post By Mke

Thread: SR-24 receiver with GPS & Bluetooth is now shipping

Years of Experience

Default SR-24 receiver with GPS & Bluetooth is now shipping

The SR-24 extends the SR-20's feature set with a built-in GPS receiver, Bluetooth data streaming to smartphones, tablets, or high-precision GPS instruments, and a smartphone/tablet app that maps multiple tracks and waypoints.

Product info. can be found here: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/sr-24-l...etooth-and-gps
    Cuda likes this.

Years of Experience

Question Cost per Unit

Quote Originally Posted by irguy View Post
    The SR-24 extends the SR-20's feature set with a built-in GPS receiver, Bluetooth data streaming to smartphones, tablets, or high-precision GPS instruments, and a smartphone/tablet app that maps multiple tracks and waypoints.

Product info. can be found here: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/sr-24-l...etooth-and-gps
    Nice.

How much does this unit cost?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cost per Unit

I really do like the concept, but i have a few reservations. I've looked into these features for other recievers and I can't get away from the fact that the accuracy won't be sub meter, so if your phone can geo-tag locations you are just about as accurate. I know it states that it can connect via bluetooth with "high-precision" GPS equipment but i'm not sure how. Does the locator itself act as a data collector and you can bluetooth to a survey grade reciever? If that is the case and the company you work for can afford a survey grade reciever you run into the fact that the measurement your locatiang reciver is getting has to be corresponded to the the position of the survey quality gps reciever. Is there some way to fix the survey grade gps reciever to the locator? On a side note, if the locating reciver doesn't store data.... do you need to run the app on your phone or another device to store the info?

The other question that is raised is the ability to change the datum that is used with the locating equipment and internal GPS? We have gone through 2 Datum changes in the past 10 years. Most hand held gps uses state plane systems and we actually have our own point system with a specificed datum. We would need to adjust that inorder for it to work with our GIS and CAD files.

The last thing i'll add, I unfortunately see this as a way for the dark side to control locators even more then the nanny cams and GPS does. With this I can see people being pulled into the office and being asked why they painted this line or that line or not enough lines in any situation because it doesn't match the maps. Or better yet.... Using said information to rectify any damages.

With that being said, I know it doesn't sound like it, but its a great concept and i'm actually interested enough to look into if further.

Thanks for the post IR

mke
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

<<Does the locator itself act as a data collector and you can bluetooth to a survey grade reciever?>>

Data from an external GPS receiver can be sent to the SR-24 via Bluetooth and logged on the SR-24's internal SD card. You can also send the SR-24's NMEA stream to the external GPS.
    The phone app offers basic mapping capabilities - I don't have a direct line to the app devs but will try to get answers for any questions you may have. https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/ridg...865163884?mt=8

<<The other question that is raised is the ability to change the datum that is used with the locating equipment and internal GPS?>>

The default GPS datum recording map is WGS84. You do have some ability to select what data is captured during a locate, and you can find this in Appendix C of the operator's manual, which you can find under the Supporting Documents tab here: https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/sr-24-l...etooth-and-gps

If you have further questions, just ask!

Guy
    Last edited by irguy; June 20th, 2014 at 09:38 PM.

Years of Experience

If you have further questions, just ask!

Guy
    Okay...

How much does it cost to buy this unit.

Years of Experience
    a few

On my system My Trimble Geo XT I had to buy Trimble Terrasync pro version software and it added a external sources module. So now I can setup a rangefinder or my seektech sr-60 using nmea streaming that is logged into the Geo Explorer. Mine is sub meter with an external antenna and post processing the data in Trimble Office.
    Last edited by Cuda; June 21st, 2014 at 04:48 PM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Okay...

How much does it cost to buy this unit.
    The MSRP is $2,993.85.

Years of Experience

The MSRP is $2,993.85.
    Thank you.

Years of Experience