Thread: SeekTech SR-20

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default SeekTech SR-20

My boss just bought us the SeekTech SR-20 and handed them out on Friday. I've only used it a couple of times so far. This thing is pretty cool. It's very light. No muscling it around. I have more confidence that I've done the locate correctly using the SR-20 than when I use old faithful... a subsite 75. I know, they are years apart and the 75 is a very respectable piece of equipment as well. I'm just liking the new locator.

"Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: SeekTech SR-20

Steve,
    Looks like a sweet locator. I like how you can walk on a sidewalk and hold it out to the side without getting into traffic. It is impressive. Any idea what the cost was?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    My boss just bought us the SeekTech SR-20 and handed them out on Friday. I've only used it a couple of times so far. This thing is pretty cool. It's very light. No muscling it around. I have more confidence that I've done the locate correctly using the SR-20 than when I use old faithful... a subsite 75. I know, they are years apart and the 75 is a very respectable piece of equipment as well. I'm just liking the new locator. [/video]
    Happy to hear that you like it. It came with a training video - have you had a chance to watch it yet?

Guy

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't know how much it costs. I can only imagine it is competitive. I'm not one to inquire about these things either. I just say thank you and hit the road.

I have only watched the youtube video above. I have the dvd still in the box. That is on my list of things to do.

I like how light the thing is. Did I mention that?
    "Change does not always equal progress."

I own a sr-20 and I am very happy with it. Every pothole the utility has been dead on my mark.All the information you need to id your target is there, without having to stop and push a button,
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

Years of Experience

Glad you like it! How long have you used it? What types of utilities do you locate with it?

Guy

I do private utility locating. I use it for everything. phone, tv, power, water, gas, fiber optic and sewer(with fish tape). I have used just about all types and makes of locating equipment including gpr. It is the best investment I have made. It does have a slight learning curve. Read the manual and when doing a sweep give the software time to filter the background noise out (slower sweep).It is lighter and has a 360 degree antenna witch means no back and forth swinging and u do not have to be over the top of your utility to find it i.e. locate from the curb instead of down in the ditch.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I don't know how much it costs. I can only imagine it is competitive. I'm not one to inquire about these things either. I just say thank you and hit the road.

I have only watched the youtube video above. I have the dvd still in the box. That is on my list of things to do.

I like how light the thing is. Did I mention that?
    Ridgid locators are nice, but just the reciever costs almost as much as 2 transmitter/reciever combos from Vivax/Metrotech. Last quote we recieved was over $6,000 for a reciever.

If you shop around you can get set up pretty cheap. I paid 2200.00 for the reciever with hard case, transmitter for 800.00 and c clamp for 450.00 and everything fits in the hard case nice and neat. Speaking of neat everything about the system is well thought out, ground rod is stored in the transmitter, clamp cable has its own reel that when you roll the cable up it fits inside the clamp so no tangled cable mess. and there is no positive or negative lead wire they are both, so it does not matter which is ground. Man I think I should get a sales commission off of this

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by overspray View Post
    Man I think I should get a sales commission off of this
    Your check is in the mail

cool, now I can get some new boots.

Based upon the review of this thread, I priced these items from 2 local Rigid reps yesterday. With the 3 items combined, overall, the cost estimates were $602 and $1184 MORE than Overspray's number. Today I'll to call a few more to get their numbers.

I may be purchasing a locator, etc. soon and heading out on my own. Still not sure whether to get the locator I'm familiar with, go with something new and improved, or simply purchase a used one for much less cost. Decisions decisions!!!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you are going to make a run at it on your own, you should stick to what you are comfortable with and acquire other equipment later. When someone pays for you to come out on site, they don't want to pay for someone unfamiliar with the equipment they are attempting to use.

At the same time..... Not sure what equipment you are used to.

Mke

I'm familiar only with a Radiodetection C.A.T.3 locator with Genny3, signal clamp, and metal snake to locate utilities.

One of the duties I had at a former employer was to utility locate at retail gas stations, some bulk terminals, prior to excavation and intrusive work. I would visit the site, once the One Call was placed, to locate and mark all on-site subsurface utilities: gasoline, natural gas, water, electric, sanitary, telephone, everything...and then mark where the work (drilling, excavations, etc.) was to be performed. If I didn't have a site plan, I'd create a detailed site sketch with which to show approximate locations underground and overhead utilities wrt site features.

I loved that part of my job, the detective work, and putting the puzzle together of what was there that you couldn't see. Frankly, I've been unemployed for a while now and am trying to figure out what I can do on my own to support my family. However, I've spent this week reading as much as I can regarding this field and about different equipment, and from what I've read in this site somewhat scares the hell out of me. I thought I was good at what I did and was as thorough as I could be, however, I never was under the gun and having to do a dozen or more "tickets" a day each with different scenarios. My work was all the same scenario, just a different site.

Although I'm familiar with the CAT, I though of going one or two better wrt features and function. But that is a good point sticking with something I'm familiar with...this SR-20 seems like it has some big balls. Going better than the CAT, I considered the RD7000, but haven't read a thing about it here, only the RD 8000. And to restate, this is all speculation at this point. I'm simply considering the feasibility of doing this on my own. Purchasing the equipment is the easy part and fortunately it's within my budget.

Anywhoo, I've got lots more to say but it's not the point of this thread. Sorry for the hijack!