Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Utility locating vs. Damage Prevention

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Utility locating vs. Damage Prevention

Just a little curious about what you all might think about something...

TheCableVine.com is specific to Underground Utility Locating. I'm considering modifying the site to include anybody related to Damage Prevention.

Is this something everyone would embrace or would you feel that the site would lose its appeal and you all would go elsewhere.

Or, if I started another forum (whole new domain name) and linked them together what would you think?

Just thinking out loud here.

I prefer honest answers over... "hey, its your site, do what you want".

Thanks
    Steve

P.S., I know what you are thinking... just another site for me to screw up.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Utility locating vs. Damage Prevention

Broadening the base will help build membership, the larger the community the broader the knowledge base.

I think it's a good idea, for whatever my opinion is worth.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Seems we already have a broad base; Locators for call before you dig firms, inhouse locator, SUE locators, SUE owners, supervisors like myself / call before you dig, some excavators, equipment reps.

Who where you thinking of adding.

Years of Experience

I personally don't believe it is necessary to add to this site or create a new site... I believe everything about damage prevention is covered right here.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Seems we already have a broad base; Locators for call before you dig firms, inhouse locator, SUE locators, SUE owners, supervisors like myself / call before you dig, some excavators, equipment reps.

Who where you thinking of adding.
    Well... I wasn't thinking of adding anybody, but instead make the site more attractive to others in damage prevention. Utility Locators are damage prevention if you want to look at it like that, but there are many out there involved with damage prevention who are not locators. A phone company might have a dedicated damage prevention representative or staff. They may not locate but they are involved in the active prevention of damages.

I'm just exploring the possibilities. It seems like we could benefit from others points of view and others could benefit from our point of view.

I was all gung-ho last night when I started this thread, but now that I've thought about it I'm a little more cautious about jumping into it.

If I did anything it would be something like changing the Title of the site to "Utility locating and Damage Prevention". It could invite more people to the community.

It also might help if I got the front end going again. I need a staff.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    I personally don't believe it is necessary to add to this site or create a new site... I believe everything about damage prevention is covered right here.
    Thanks... That is why I have backed off a little over what I was thinking last night. The only concern I have is that a site that is Utility Locating specific might make people who are not locators feel excluded or not welcome.

We have people pop in now and then who are non-locators and they don't seem to stay very long.

Just thinking here.

Years of Experience
    30+

Open up a Damage Prevention site and I will be there.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What about the "socially awkward" dating site you were going to attach to this one?

I'm with the other guys, I thought this was already a "damage prevention" sight, but I'm all for expanding the base if possible.

mke

Years of Experience

Gah........that's a tough question Steve ...ha ! as usual , I agree with what everyone has said .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    Broadening the base will help build membership, the larger the community the broader the knowledge base. I think it's a good idea, for whatever my opinion is worth.
    Well said.

Changing the site's title to include damage prevention is a good idea. To retain these new members, solicit suggestions on additional forums that may better serve their needs.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

In addition to the Title change I would possibly change the names of some of the categories or add additional categories. Not yet sure. Just mulling it over. I'll spend some time this weekend doing some research as to what is out there and see if this is something that is needed.

Thanks for all the input.

About the dating site. Not all of my ideas are winners.

Years of Experience

Steve,

First, I want to say "Thank you!" for your hard work regarding this website. It is an asset to our profession and awesome resource for anyone involved in utility locating/ damage prevention/ SUE, etc.

I also agree that this is already a "damage prevention" website. No matter how you label it, it all boils down to damage prevention of underground utilities. However, if adding another "label" will attract more members/participants, then I'm all for it. We might just learn a thing or two from these new members and better understand their side of this business. And, with any luck, maybe these new members will better understand what we do and the challenges we face everyday.

I like the idea. Give it a test and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Just a little curious about what you all might think about something...

TheCableVine.com is specific to Underground Utility Locating. I'm considering modifying the site to include anybody related to Damage Prevention.

Is this something everyone would embrace or would you feel that the site would lose its appeal and you all would go elsewhere.

Or, if I started another forum (whole new domain name) and linked them together what would you think?

Just thinking out loud here.

I prefer honest answers over... "hey, its your site, do what you want".

Thanks
    Steve

P.S., I know what you are thinking... just another site for me to screw up.
    Steve, I do not believe you need to start a new site. Every person in the damage prevention industry could benifit from your forum. I started out as a equipment operator then moved over to the locating side and now I am the owner of a company. I still do some locating, just not as much as I used to. I plan to continue to participate in your site even if I end up never locating again. I recomend all my employees to join your site, because of the wealth of knowledge that is here.
    Keep up the good work.
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post

[Do] you feel the site would lose its appeal and would you go elsewhere?

Hey Steve - I appreciate all you do for our forum. Count me in for a larger fan base.

I have no plans in the immediate future to move on to something else regardless what you do. As for me, The Cable Vine members are my extended family members. I even consider the SIC 1 my brother!

The Cable Vine gives all its members who throw paint to protect underground utilities a "safe place" to vent (safe only to those who are anonymous), to encourage each other and share ideas.

Please don't kill what we already have in topics and replies. That would suck.......... I would surely miss my music, photos and microfiber boxer-brief posts............ just sayin'.

Guess what? I got a FEVER! And the
    only prescription, is more Cable[Vine]!

------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    too many

Hey I think Its not half bad of a idea ...If the utility companies themselves get on Specifically the dpc, investigators or what have you They in there own words can say what it is there look at and relay what they have seen and what there recommendations are .
    Knowledge is power and the more input we get the better our decisions in the field would be..
    overspray likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast