Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: TheCableVine's official chat channel is open!

Years of Experience

Default TheCableVine's official chat channel is open!

I have taken the liberty (with Steve's permission) to register an open chat channel on IRC (Internet Relay Chat) for use by forum members for real time chat/discussion. The hope is that this will be a medium to forward discussion as to the future needs of the industry as a whole.

For those of you familiar with the use of IRC,the channel name is #TheCableVine of course. It is located on the DALnet server.

For those of you who are not, IRC is basically an internet version of CB radio. There are multiple servers and multiple channel names (rooms) on any given server. It is accessed by either a simple program (mIRC being the most widely used, just google IRC) or it can be accessed via the Web. The operation of these platforms is for the most part simple and to the point, with the intricate operations being something "noobs" pick up with time. Don't be intimidated. Just remember to set the server connection to a 'random DALnet serv' and then type /j #TheCableVine in the window after connection.

IRC is actually quite a fun environment, as you have access to multiple channels (rooms) of an almost unlimited variety as to topic, atmosphere, etc. and can access multiple channels simultaneously. You will need to register a nick just like Yahoo, AIM, etc.

Any questions just post to open forum or you can PM me if you need.

Hope to see you all there!

~Jack
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: TheCableVine's official chat channel is open!

Delegated to the right guy........success!
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; February 24th, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Delegated to the right guy........sucess!
    That was fast!!! Good job RD

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    Delegated to the right guy........sucess!
    Good job on "who to delegated to"..... ifindit,

Years of Experience

Lol!

3 replies

1 person visiting channel.

Life is all a numbers game!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Tried to sign on it sd I would have to wait 24 hrs.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Tried to sign on it sd I would have to wait 24 hrs.
    odd...what platform are you using?

Per Scientiam Vires!

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    odd...what platform are you using?
    Hell, I don't know a platform from a scaffold! I'm on a Dell w/Windows going thru Internet Explorer, if any of that matters
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Ok, I'm still figuring out the operations from the web myself. Give me a bit and I'll figure it out.

Will do my best to insure those unable to d'l a access program can access through a browser before too long.

Thanks Spray!

Per Scientiam Vires!

Made it in; not bad.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Ok folks, here's a little bit more detailed description of how to access IRC and The Cable Vine's chat channel with mIRC.

Go to http://www.oldversion.com/download_mIRC_6.17.html and download the file. This is mIRC v. 6.17, the simpler and more stable of mIRC's versions, and the easier to add customized scripts to once you familiarize yourself with the operations.

Once you d'l the file, install and run.

When you open mIRC a gray menu/options box will open up. Fill in a potential nick in the appropriate boxes with an alternate in case you can't use your preference.

If you look on the left hand side you will see a list of menu options. Click the "+" sign next to "Connect" it will drop down more options.

Click on "Server".

To the right you will see a drop down menu. Click it and scroll down until you find "DALnet random server". Choose that.

Then click the "Connect to server" button.

The windows will scroll through a bunch of stuff and when it's done, type /j #TheCableVine in the bottom of the open window. A new window will open in channel and there you are. You will find that all functions in IRC that you will learn to enjoy start with the '/' symbol.

An additional function you will want to perform is to type /nickserv register {password} {valid email}, replacing {password} with a password of your choice and {valid email} with a functioning email address.

This will register your password with the DALnet server, allowing you to insure that nobody else can use it. Simply type /nickserv identify {password} whenever you log in and as long as you do this at least once every 20 days it will remain yours.

It really sounds more difficult than it is. Once you access and play a bit you will see how easy it really is. There is a potential for a web-based applet that Steve may be able to utilize for the site, but I want to do some more tests on it to insure it's stability and security before recommending it. Not to mention it is pointless to apply if interest in the channel isn't high enough.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    Hell, I don't know a platform from a scaffold! I'm on a Dell w/Windows going thru Internet Explorer, if any of that matters
    good one dude.....i'm saying the same thing.....sounds like a good idea though!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Alrighty then.

Ease of access.

Click here -> http://www.freejavachat.com/?chan=TheCableVine

once there type /nick {name of your choice}.

I recommend you register by typing /nickserv register {password} (valid email}.

Once registered the nick is yours on this server. You will have to identify any time you log on by typing /nickserv identify {password}. This is to insure you always have the handle you choose.

Bear with me folks, it's a work in progress.

Hope this helps boost users. If it looks like it will be popular, I have the html code saved so Steve can embed it into the site and you'll no longer need to follow the link.

Hope to see ya'll there!

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

For those of you who downloaded a program to access the chat channel, (mIRC, etc.) I have moved the channel to a different server. DALnet just wasn't capable of handling the java applet for web based chat.

The new server is IRCstorm.

You may need to add this to your server list to access it. In the 'options' box that pops up on start-up of the program - click on 'connect', click on 'servers', click the 'ADD' button, type IRCstorm in description, type irc.ircstorm.net in IRC server, insure port is 6667, and click the 'ADD' button.

You should now be able to join on the IRCstorm server, just click connect.

I apologize for any confusion guys, it's a work in progress, and like anything else, it take time to work out the kinks.

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    na

Id rather small talk a bunch of girls in yahoo chat (which I dont do either),
    than talk a bunch of locating BS with dudes trying to say there paint stick is bigger than a next guys...

Where do these wonder storming tweakers come from ???

The forum- mat is good enough...

We all need real lives anyway !!!

99% dudes with not much to elaborate on spells disaster...

JMHO

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast