Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Posting things you shouldn't

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Posting things you shouldn't

This was a post by Wael Ghonim just five days before the uprising in Egypt. It got him thrown in jail.

“Personally, I wish I had a real voice in my country. I wish for true democracy, not a sham of democracy. I wish we could stand up against corruption. I wish teachers would establish in the hearts and minds of students a genuine love for knowledge and learning. I wish police officers would be the way they were depicted long ago in the movies.

“I wish the government would stop treating people as though they were children who could be lied to. I wish people would treat one another without classism. I wish we could rid ourselves of the negativity and the passivity. I wish we could learn to differ in opinion without insulting one another.

“I wish we could love one another – really love one another. By the way, it is my right to dream and to pursue my dream, and it is your right to dream. And seriously, if we stopped dreaming, we would die.”

In the end, anything you say can be called inciteful hatespeach somehow and used against you if you make the wrong enemies.

Years of Experience

“I wish we could love one another – really love one another. By the way, it is my right to dream and to pursue my dream, and it is your right to dream. I dont think what was posted has anything to do with love one another

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Hey boots, I think you forgot to close the quote with a final " .

Either way, I think love does have a bit to do with it. Not to go down a road that makes me look less of a man, but the way we treat all aspects of our life is interlocked with how we are treated and visa versa. You can reason it away by labeling it something else like respect, like, faith, etc... it all manifests itself the same. I'm not saying its the same love one shares with their child or their wife or husband, but it is love none the less. If you read the beginning of the quote his love is there.

I know, its a stupid reply but its late on a friday of an extremely tiring week..... I think my guard is down

Mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

I like his quote a lot. It is something that anyone anywhere could write regardless of their ideology. I've had those thoughts myself and could have easily posted something similar. Are these thoughts subversive or dangerous? He's also been accused of being a useful idiot and I don't pretend to know the whole story. The content of the quote is only half my point though.

It also shows that what you say, no matter how truthful or harmless it may seem, can be picked up by those in power and used against you. I hate it that there are so many places in this world where a cry for dignity or brotherly love can still get you thrown in jail or somehow retaliated against. This happened on the other side of the planet but, between the gov't and the corporations, I sometimes fear it may be closer to home than any of us would like to think.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12