Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Posting things you shouldn't

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Posting things you shouldn't

I was asked to delete the post about working for a company with a felony record, which I am going to do... but I DO NOT like doing it. I have warned people to remain anonymous and if you post something that gets you in trouble, then it is all your fault and don't ask me to fix the problem.

I am making a rare exception in this case. Furthermore, I DO NOT delete entire accounts and all associated posts. I just don't do it.

This is a forum for people to share ideas and experiences. If I'm constantly editing/deleting content then it becomes an unreliable source for Utility Locators. They won't know from day to day if that interesting post they read last month will still be here when they come looking for it. So, PLEASE, think about your posts before you post.

Personally, if you knowingly hire a felon and he does all the crap that was stated, and you fire them and then HIRE them back on, you should have the balls to stand by your decision and proudly defend it, not threaten the person who exposed your decision. If you can't defend your decision proudly, then you know it was a wrong decision to begin with.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Posting things you shouldn't

Right on Steve.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I guess i'm confused steve who asked that the post be deleted the poster or the company that was named

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The poster requested it.

You might have saved his job.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Am I wrong... or can't you go back and edit your own post... even deleting large portions of the post itself???

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I believe you only have a few minutes to go back and edit your post

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

There is a time limit of 10 minutes (I think) that allows you to correct errors or delete the post altogether if you choose to. The time limit is there for the same reason as stated above. If people could delete posts whenever they wanted, this forum would be worthless.

I thought the reason vbulletin forum moderators don't allow posts was because that was the default way vbulletin was built and would require an expensive optional modification to allow extended editing?

I've been around the locate industry for a long long time and am reticient to post anywhere the user can't edit their own posts. Why? Editing allows for the correction of an old post if things change. If the post is permament, it merely adds to the ocean of incorrect information out there on the internet. We've all "googled" for something on the net and found 15 forum postings we knew for a fact were wrong - no way am I contributing to that.

If I can be a part of making things better, spreading good information, making the world a little better than it was the day before, I'm all for that. I don't want to post "Brand X is the best for your job" and have that be permament - Brand X isn't likely to be the best permanently. People learn, conditions change, posts should also.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

K-206, I understand your sentiment, however, if your smart enough to work a computer you should be smart enough to follow a forum thread. Here is a collection of thoughts and ideas. It is more then acceptable to come, read, and leave with out leaving your two cents, but not to leave any insight when you feel passionately about the topic is perplexing to say the least.

Like you said, people learn, conditions change.... if you don't put down your experiences for others to read, how will we be able to draw from the knowlede of a seasoned locator? (I misspelled knowledge for effect)

just my thoughts and only my thoughts according to me at this precise minute. (may have recently changed or may change in the near future)

Mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

For me to allow posters to edit their own posts on this board takes the simple click of a mouse and then a click on the save button. Then everybody could edit their own posts forever. I could also set it up so that everybody could edit everyone else ' posts, or delete anybodies posts they want. Or... I could set it up so that a person has a set amount of time to edit their own posts. I opted for the last one after input from the forum members. People were complaining (justifiably) that they couldn't edit their own posts. I also get people who want to delete their own posts... and even their entire accounts, posts and all. I opted to set the edit time to 10 minutes (I think, or maybe 20 minutes, not sure) so that people could correct any errors they made or even delete the entire post altogether if they had second thoughts, but for reasons I listed above, you have a limited time. I think this is a reasonable compromise.

The internet will survive with a few incorrect posts. Quite frankly, I'm sure I have a few posts where things have changed that I could go back and edit but to be honest with you, I have forgotten they even exist. I don't know of anyone who monitors old posts so they can correct them the moment the facts change.

Years of Experience

Sorry to say spray but his job isn't saved talked to a colleague yesterday about this and they are narrowing down the possibilities before they drop the hammer. It sounds to me like some kind of line was crossed and there is no unringing this bell

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    For me to allow posters to edit their own posts on this board takes the simple click of a mouse and then a click on the save button. Then everybody could edit their own posts forever. I could also set it up so that everybody could edit everyone else ' posts, or delete anybodies posts they want. Or... I could set it up so that a person has a set amount of time to edit their own posts. I opted for the last one after input from the forum members. People were complaining (justifiably) that they couldn't edit their own posts. I also get people who want to delete their own posts... and even their entire accounts, posts and all. I opted to set the edit time to 10 minutes (I think, or maybe 20 minutes, not sure) so that people could correct any errors they made or even delete the entire post altogether if they had second thoughts, but for reasons I listed above, you have a limited time. I think this is a reasonable compromise.

The internet will survive with a few incorrect posts. Quite frankly, I'm sure I have a few posts where things have changed that I could go back and edit but to be honest with you, I have forgotten they even exist. I don't know of anyone who monitors old posts so they can correct them the moment the facts change.
    Agreed 100% Steve.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Sorry to say spray but his job isn't saved talked to a colleague yesterday about this and they are narrowing down the possibilities before they drop the hammer. It sounds to me like some kind of line was crossed and there is no unringing this bell
    All he has to do is deny, deny , deny. Unless they serve Steve with a subpoena, they will nerver know for sure who he/she is.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks Ifindit.

Spray... Sounds to me like they already know who he is. I got the impression that he was confronted about it. But, the question is, did he do anything wrong?

I don't think he did. He may have stepped on some toes, embarrassed a person or even the company, but posting the truth isn't illegal. I am assuming he posted the truth. If not, shame on him. However, I doubt he made it up. On the other hand, if he is in a position of trust then the company has an expectation of confidentiality on certain matters. If he is not in a position of trust, then passing along what is probably common knowledge shouldn't be punishable. They need to go after the person in the position of trust who let the information become common knowledge. This is all speculation on my part, of course. As far as a subpoena, I don't think I'll be seeing one any time soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast