Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need opinions from the members.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Need opinions from the members.

I am getting hit left and right with people signing up just for the purpose of spamming. I'm constantly deleting accounts from these people and invariably someone innocent gets deleted or denied access. I just deleted over 100 accounts that were awaiting e-mail confirmation. And I'll probably delete another 100 in a couple of days. This doesn't include the accounts that I delete through out the day.

Here is what I'm getting at: I have always said that as long as I own this site it would be free. Now I'm starting to see what a free site is to 99% of the internet (who are non-locators of course)... a chance to spam directly or through profiles or whatever other method they have come up with. It is becoming a huge pain in the butt.

So... here is what I'm getting at. I'm thinking about making this a pay site. I'm looking for input from everyone.

If It does go to a pay site, it will be closed to everyone who hasn't paid. That means that 95% of the visitors who are locators who just come by to read will not be able to. That to me is fair to the subscribers. Everyone who has already signed up and is an active member will not need to pay.

Comments anyone?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Need opinions from the members.

i'm down but will you be able to control this issue????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    i'm down but will you be able to control this issue????
    control the issue? I don't understand what issue.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What kind of costs are you looking at Steve? Would it be cheap enough for everyone to afford, and have payment options easy enough for everyone to live with? I love this site and would hate to lose good potential members for the sake of a buck......Would additional help be a better solution? Golden and TBone do a good job, but their time is as limited as everyone elses......
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; October 27th, 2008 at 10:00 PM.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Who opened the screen door?
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Manhoe you kind of sound like a loser! You have 5 backup names waiting! Damn you must not have a life! Or your wife is ugly and you can't stand her! I will just put you on the ignore list with USIC.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    What kind of costs are you looking at Steve? Would it be cheap enough for everyone to afford, and have payment options easy enough for everyone to live with? I love this site and would hate to lose good potential members for the sake of a buck......Would additional help be a better solution? Golden does a good job, but his time is as limited as everyone elses......
    Just a minimal cost of 5 dollars. that will keep all the spammers from signing up and will keep losers like the previous poster (manhoe) from signing up as well. Each time he does it will cost him 5 dollars.

Like I said. I am just looking for input on this.

Years of Experience

I must agree with ifindit. It would really suck to lose potential members because of the cost. If it was a small fee that the lowly locator could afford maybe it would work.

Would people be able to view the forum? Otherwise how would they hear about it to know they'd be interested in signing up. Maybe we could make it an invite only club? Kinda like the clubs downtown where you need the password to get in

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    Manhoe you kind of sound like a loser! You have 5 backup names waiting! Damn you must not have a life! Or your wife is ugly and you can't stand her! I will just put you on the ignore list with USIC.
    LOL, look at this other idiot. hahahaha

Let me stop wastin my bullets. I was told the ban would be lifted on November 4th

Hey, whatever you need to do is Ok with me - a $5 charge would probably keep the USIC upper mgmt off also as cheap as they are
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I am okay with that Steve. Can you set up paypal or something similar?
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

I like Golden's idea. Set up an invite only type access. If someone wants to join, they must first email one of the mods with enough information to prove that it isn't a spammer. Then they also provide their screen name. When they do that, they get the password to the registration page, and it could change every week. That would keep the kiddies out of here.

Just a thought.

I would not have a problem with paying but you would need a way to let some one see the site first before having to pay. Maybe they could view the site for free but before they could post they would have to sign up and pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage Investigator View Post
    I would not have a problem with paying but you would need a way to let some one see the site first before having to pay. Maybe they could view the site for free but before they could post they would have to sign up and pay.
    That is a good idea... I remember on the old site we had back room. Do we have one here? If so, then you would have to be signed up to view this area also. Otherwise it would be blocked. I don't have a problem with a $5 fee, but I do think people should be able to "look before they buy". Limit their looking... (ie no viewing personal profiles or backroom stuff), no posting and you could even have them moderated for the first 90 days or so many posts after they join. (Just my 2 cents worth).

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Yes... we have the backroom here as well.

I'm thinking this may not be a good idea. I don't want to limit exposure to the locate community.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast