Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By KaineF
  • 1 Post By TheCableVine

Thread: Locatorjobs.com is no more.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Locatorjobs.com is no more.

Locatorjobs.com is no longer in business. It has become UtilityES.com or Utility Employment Solutions. It has a new software running it that is much better than the old one.

I had to do it sooner or later and I decided to get it completed tonight. I've been working on it for almost a month and I think I've got all the kinks worked out.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go over there and sign up. Click around and if you see any problems I may have missed I would REALLY APPRECIATE a heads up.

Thanks so much
    Steve
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Default Re: Locatorjobs.com is no more.

I just noticed when you do a search you cant put in a state it comes up as the category like the above

Years of Experience
    10yrs +
    Blog Entries

just signed up and verified the same as LocatorMD, state option is still not available.

Years of Experience

poor Locatorjobs.com we will keep you in our thoughts and prayrs ... *pours out a little of his 40oz*
    union_YES likes this.

Years of Experience

When will all the Jobs posted on Locatorjobs.com be migrated over? There were alot of positions advertised there, but only three on utilityes.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I will check into the State search problem.

I tried and tried to get migrate the old data over to the new site. I tried migrating employers and job seekers but ran into problems. For whatever reason half the account links wouldn't work when i uploaded the employer/job seeker accounts. I tried for a week straight to solve that problem but I gave up. I didn't want to take a chance on screwing something up and then having to live with it. I decided to go ahead and start from scratch. I sent out a mass e-mail to all users and employers who were signed up for the newsletter... which was a little less than half of the users, letting them know what was going on.

Without the employer accounts there would be nobody to point the old jobs to. The active employers should re-register and continue to post their jobs. Jobs expire after 30 days, so theoretically all who have jobs to post will continue to post as they did and all jobs should return within the 30 days. out of 450 or so employers that were signed up, only about 15-20 (i'm guessing) actually post jobs on a regular basis.

The site will take a huge hit as far as traffic, job postings, registrations, etc.... I realize that. I plan on counter balancing it with advertisement. All money I make off the site will go back into the site in the form of advertising. The theory is that money brings in users, which brings more money... you know what I'm getting at. The whole process I expect to take a year or more before UtilityES.com is the site that Locatorjobs.com was.

I have it priced so small companies will not have to pay to post a job ever. That would be most of the employers. That means revenue to the site will be minimal. Which means low advertising budget. That is why it will take so long.
    FieldTech561 likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I tried to get it figured out but it wasn't grooving for me. I had to send in a support ticket.

The developers live somewhere in the middle east so this time... 9:00 pm-ish is morning for them so hopefully it will be fixed when we all get up in the morning. Crossing my fingers.

Thanks
    Steve

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Well, as I expected, when I woke up the other morning the problem had been fixed. I'm using a beta version of the job board software so there are a few bugs here and there but they were able to fix it.

Not a fan. locatorjobs was easier to find and navigate and you lost many companies from posting jobs on there. Yes, it is in the middle of dig season which is a slower time but I have no idea why you say "I had to do it...". No, you didn't. Then you went ahead and lost all the previous posting from companies. Everyone makes bad decisions time to time, this was one by you.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you have 'no idea why' then how can you disagree with me? Doesn't make sense.

FYI... I did have to. The reason is that the developer (jamit software) is no longer supporting the software. I have several job sites that I run and a couple have been shut down so far because the software wasn't being updated. cableconstructionjobs.com for example. It was becoming old PHP language and the hosts keep updating their servers. I left a host (Westnic) that I was with for a long time. They started shutting my sites down and telling me I needed to upgrade to the latest version. I told them I was running the latest version. It didn't matter. Vulnerabilities don't get patched. Hackers get in there and mess around with your site. Locatorjobs.com could have run for another year or just a few months depending. I decided to jump now and start over rather than wait until it was absolutely necessary. Its like jumping off a rising platform. Would you rather jump at 25 feet now, or 40 feet later?

I have addressed the navigability with the developers of the new software. Hopefully they will take it into consideration. Others have addressed it on their forum as well so I'm hoping that my input along with the others will make them work on it some.

I'm running advertising on Google and the sign-up rate for job seekers is 2-3 times what it was with locatorjobs. At this rate we should reach 2500 or so job seekers signed up by the end of the year, minimum. For employers I expect over 300. If you were to see the inner workings of an active job board you would know that even though you may have hundreds or even thousands of accounts, only a small percentage are active for both employers and job seekers. So, if somebody advertises 30,000 or more candidates, the reality is that only a small percentage are even looking for a job.

There are 45 jobs posted at the moment which I believe is a little above normal. I would have guessed 30-40 for this time of year based on what I've observed in previous years.

So, what would you have done?

Thanks for your reasoning Steve. I just loved the previous site was all.