Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Judge orders google to reveal bloggers identity

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Judge orders google to reveal bloggers identity

A defining case in internet history in which a blogger used "defamatory" language towards model Liskula Cohen thinking her anonymity would protect her.

Cohen sued Google to get the identity and won.

Why am I posting this? Forum writers as well as any writer in any media will be held to the same standards.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Default Re: Judge orders google to reveal bloggers identity

Steve,
    You have always told people to be careful of what they say on this forum. I think all of us are aware that what we say here or anywhere else may come back to us some time. I, for one, apreciate the opportunity you provide for us to be heard, while I try to remain as respectful of others as possible. If we all adhere to those standards, we have nothing to fear if someone forces you to give us up.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

And eye's are always watching. I even got a letter from a USIC attorney back in mid-July saying, "Furthermore, USIC has discovered disparaging statements made against it and attributable to One Vision on public websites."

And here I was.... just trying to play nice......
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm glad everyone understands. I haven't the money or the time... Okay I got the time, but I don't have the money to fight even a frivolous harassment against the site. I'd have to fold like a lawn chair.

Years of Experience

i guess Usic1 will have to be more careful from now on???? ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Anyone EVER asks you who I am Steve, GO RIGHT AHEAD AND GIVE THEM MY NAME!!!!!!

Statements are only DISPARAGING if THEY AREN'T TRUE!!!!!!! If they ARE TRUE, TUFF SHIT!!!!!!!

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    A defining case in internet history in which a blogger used "defamatory" language towards model Liskula Cohen thinking her anonymity would protect her.

Cohen sued Google to get the identity and won.

Why am I posting this? Forum writers as well as any writer in any media will be held to the same standards.

I think we have enough evidence to justify your stance on defending member identiys...So your on the hook to protect member anonymity regardless of how protective rites have evolved... No scapegoating is allowed...

We have representative forum administered standards pre dating any change of terms(with implied proof)from when thecablevine was founded...So's in case you cave on the anonymity pledges your implied terms from previous posts govern the standards...

Its to late to renig on defending identity issues...

Enter the articles of Anonymity as representative by Thecablevines founding father- (not to be construed as just suggestive but rather a steadfast guide or policy)...

1)
    I still think everyone should have an anonymous identity.

2)
    As some of you may know, much of the upper management from some of the locating companies like to stop by now and then to read what their locators are posting. They may not agree with everything that is posted and might want to talk to people about what they posted. The only way to stay off the radar screen is to remain anonymous.
    3)
    Do not sign up with your name or nickname you might go by at work. Also do not reveal where you work or what company you work for. Some on here do and that is their own business. They may not be too worried about it. That is fine. But, if you plan on remaining completely anonymous keep it simple. Don't reveal any personal information that might give you away.

Just a reminder.

4)
    if you feel you are no longer anonymous. Go to yahoo.com, get a new e-mail address and sign up with a different name. Start all over.

Now, we the members expect the terms to be administered and defended to the fullest extent short of your being nailed to a cross... In other words -

Last edited by USIC1; August 25th, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Your identity is safe with me Gary Johnson... er, I mean USIC1. You can count on that.

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    And eye's are always watching. I even got a letter from a USIC attorney back in mid-July saying, "Furthermore, USIC has discovered disparaging statements made against it and attributable to One Vision on public websites."

And here I was.... just trying to play nice......
    Sounds like someone with way too much time on their hands. I for one believe this site is positive and encourages people to say what they think. How can that be a bad thing???

From Threadwatch, the New Jersey state legislature is considering a bill that would disallow anonymous speech on forums. While this only relates to New Jersey law, the proposed bill is pretty bold in its attempts and could set a precedent for other states or even national law if passed.

“This bill would require an operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish, maintain and enforce a policy requiring an information content provider who posts messages on a public forum website either to be identified by legal name and address or to register a legal name and address with the operator or provider prior to posting messages on a public forum website.

The bill requires an operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider to establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.

In addition, the bill makes any operator or Internet service provider liable for compensatory and punitive damages as well as costs of a law suit filed by a person damaged by the posting of such messages if the operator or Internet service provider fails to establish, maintain and enforce the policy required by section 2 of the bill.”

AussieWebmaster makes the following interesting comment, “Guess the freedom to be yourself means that you have to be yourself.”

Years of Experience

Your identity is safe with me Gary Johnson... er, I mean USIC1. You can count on that.
    heheehheehe!! you better watch it Usic!.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Oh $#!+. Does this mean that I have to be nice again???
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

No Beyond, you can be a dick. You just have to be an anonymous dick.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

We need to form an off-shore company that specializes in providing fake names, identities, e-mail addresses and IPO's so we can all still post anonymously. If ya'll come up with the $ I will be happy to move to the Caribbean and run this company
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

S+P, the first 3 are already out there, and I "THINK" there are ways to do the ipo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast