Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ProfessionalLocator

Thread: I may need to start charging for Locatorjobs.com... Please read before cussing at me.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default I may need to start charging for Locatorjobs.com... Please read before cussing at me.

I have always said that as long as I own locatorjobs.com... and thecablevine.com then it will always be free to utility locate companies. Well... that was when I thought there would be no problems.

Here is the problem:

The developer of the software I am using, jamit job boards, has stopped working on the software. The language used for JJB is called PHP. It is being updated constantly so developers who use it need to keep their software updated as well. The developer of JJB has stopped updating the software and has actually abandoned it altogether. Now I, and others, as can be seen in this thread for the support forum Jamit Job Board Forum are put in a difficult spot. As PHP gets updated then JJB is slowly being left behind. As hosting companies update PHP on their servers then software running on the older versions start having difficulties. Sooner or later they will stop working altogether. I need to take care of that problem before it arises.

Why do I need to charge? If you read the forum post you will see that to convert the database to another job board program isn't easy and will be expensive. Plus, depending on the new job board software I choose, I will need to put up a good sum of cash. What that is right now, I don't know. I can only say it will be in the hundreds possibly approaching a thousand dollars or more. I don't have that kind of money.

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by TheCableVine; April 7th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: I may need to start charging for Locatorjobs.com... Please read before cussing at me.

Let us know where to send the money, I can throw in some bucks.

Also there is the one perk this job has, keeping all the dog turds we paint. I have over a decade collection in all different colors. Let me know if you want any of them also.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: I may need to start charging for Locatorjobs.com... Please read before cussing at me.

locatorjobs.com and cablevine are separate right ???? ....regardless ...I will help out with what possible ....uh....did you ever cash that last check I sent you ..ha ??
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

charge the utility companies and or contract locate companies to post for jobs.

Steve, I would be willing to pay a fee for advertising a job listing on your site, I would rather advertise here than in the local paper at least here it will be seen by quality locators rather than having to train someone off the street that knows nothing of the industry.
    Now, what the ---- did I do with that ped wrench???????????

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by overspray View Post
    Steve, I would be willing to pay a fee for advertising a job listing on your site, I would rather advertise here than in the local paper at least here it will be seen by quality locators rather than having to train someone off the street that knows nothing of the industry.
    Same goes for me.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the support.

I'm not sure when this will happen but it WILL happen eventually. I need to research what is available for starters and then see if they are able to convert the database over to their format. That is the most important thing at the moment. I will keep everyone informed.

Years of Experience

wheres the donate button?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I like donations. If anybody wants to donate then I will not argue with you. I'm easy that way. However, I don't like taking something without giving back something in return. So, I have gone and found the old thread on memberships and found the link to the membership page. I had to dust it off and make it shiny. It still works too.

Memberships can be found here.
    Last edited by TheCableVine; April 10th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

Years of Experience
    30+

PayPal Sent!!!

Years of Experience

Checks in the mail ... I swear..