Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Facebook is killing forums.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Facebook is killing forums.

I typed in that search phrase into Google and came up with many hits. Some people out there in internet land run forums and are seeing a decline in forum participation. Others out there are die-hard forum users and think forums are here to stay.

The fact that I typed that phrase means something. It means I've noticed a decline in forum use and visitors. And, checking my stats from the last month compared to the same period in 2015 confirms that there has been a decline in visitors. Also, anyone who visits here knows that posts are fewer than they were last year as well. I notice on the facebook group that many people are posting pics because it is sooo easy to do over there. Here, posting a pic is a chore and I'm not sure I'm doing it right every time. Just an example I suppose.

So, I'm faced with a decision. Is the forum worth saving or should I let it die along with the many other forums out there.

There is another option. I could actually turn the cablevine into a little facebook all by itself. There is a software program called PHPFox. It is a clone of the facebook program. You can see a site that uses it here: https://www.teapartycommunity.com/. (I'm not promoting the Tea Party just giving a popular site to look at) I think this is the way to go if I were to try to save TheCableVine.com.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me your feed back.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Facebook is killing forums.

Our forum setup allows topics and threads that are searchable. We are dependent on work of mouth promotion and an internet search will find us as well as facebook. I noticed that during dig season when we work lots of ot personal time is less and participation falls off anyway. Going to facebook offers no real advantage for our needs.

Perhaps correcting a few existing shortcomings would improve things.

A 'sticky' how to on posting pictures.

Making the forums / topics list easier to read. The opening page only as a little column today's only showing the last five posts, not last five topics. The entire rest of page are news articles and links to non forum subjects. The opening page used to center on the forums, which are now harder to view especially for visitors, and the decline may coincide with the change to the current format. The forums are what drives participation of this site and they are not being promoted.

Years of Experience
    a few

All the forums I go to are way down on posts, But on the other hand I have really cut down on even going to facebook at all. I know a lot of people have splintered off away from forums and started little groups on facebook but it really reminds me of the old bbs days and do not really like it. As for this site there is a lot of information buried here from years of good posts and I would just save this one with any upgrades you see fit to do. Sometimes a little makeover helps. But anyway people are busy working hard these days it seems and all forums are down, I think it is just a trend and will go back up like a cycle.

Years of Experience

I will personally not go forward with the face book idea. even though I am not anonymous I like the idea that I am . if this site was mine to do with what I will, my decisions would be this : if this is costing me to much of my personal time cut it . if this is costing me money and I am going in the hole , cut it . if this is only breaking even and there is not enough participation cut it . I am not humble enough to say I would keep this thing alive because I love locator's and I love giving them a place to vent . I like you Steve and I love THE CABLEVINE . I do want to see the best for you no matter what you do .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

it also appears I may be a thread killer ..........
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Our forum setup allows topics and threads that are searchable. We are dependent on work of mouth promotion and an internet search will find us as well as facebook. I noticed that during dig season when we work lots of ot personal time is less and participation falls off anyway. Going to facebook offers no real advantage for our needs.

Perhaps correcting a few existing shortcomings would improve things.

A 'sticky' how to on posting pictures.

Making the forums / topics list easier to read. The opening page only as a little column today's only showing the last five posts, not last five topics. The entire rest of page are news articles and links to non forum subjects. The opening page used to center on the forums, which are now harder to view especially for visitors, and the decline may coincide with the change to the current format. The forums are what drives participation of this site and they are not being promoted.
    A few years ago I went from vBulletin to vBulletin Suite which is more of a publisher platform. It's set up so that the website would be more like a magazine. I tried to stick with it but there's a lot of work involved in that. So, I take the blame for its stagnation. That is why the old opening page is gone. I could get in there and see what I can do to make it more like you remember. It shouldn't be too hard.

The decline I'm seeing is recent. Within the last year. You are right, the forums have always driven the participation but Facebook is soooo much easier to post to. And, it feeds the short attention span. Quick posts with quick comments and then move on to the next one. You'll never see in depth conversations on Facebook like we've had on here. These forums are great for sharing information and ideas. But they just don't do it anymore. There are other forums out there that are thriving. Digitalpoint.com is a huge forum that is doing very well. So, it can happen but I feel these guys have a staff that administers the forum. I remember it was up for sale quite a while ago. It has improved since then. I don't have the time to do that kind of thing. I've tried to keep up on the articles on the front page but it literally takes hours a night to go through all the articles out there on locating and construction damages and whatever combination of keywords a person could use to search for these articles. I've setup google alerts for many key words and I get 20-30 e-mails a day with some articles, but we are talking 20-30 different articles sometimes per e-mail... and not all have to do with locating. I sound like I'm whining but I'm not. Sifting through those articles takes time.

As for promoting the website... it used to promote itself. It worked on word of mouth and some search engine traffic. Promoting it now would cost money in the form of Adwords or something like it. I can't afford it.

I posted on the digitalpoint website asking for help in this area but none have answered my call. I've also looked for an app or something that will automatically post from this site to the facebook page and vice versa but I couldn't find one.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    All the forums I go to are way down on posts, But on the other hand I have really cut down on even going to facebook at all. I know a lot of people have splintered off away from forums and started little groups on facebook but it really reminds me of the old bbs days and do not really like it. As for this site there is a lot of information buried here from years of good posts and I would just save this one with any upgrades you see fit to do. Sometimes a little makeover helps. But anyway people are busy working hard these days it seems and all forums are down, I think it is just a trend and will go back up like a cycle.
    I have seen that other forums are down on posts. There is discussion out there about this. One reason I read (Which makes complete sense) is that people are just spending so much time on Facebook that they stopped going to the forums. It's not that they don't like the forums they just like Facebook more.

An example would be this... I went to the Facebook group and counted all the posts which consist of original posts and comments. I counted 26 for the day. We haven't had 26 in probably the last month. We'll go days without a post now. We used to do 5-10 a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

This is from a post on PHPBB.COM
    Hi,
    I have an quite large forum and starting to get a real headache due to members (espacially one targeted group) shifting from my forum to Facebook groups. Moreover it seems to be high activity in these groups, itīs fast, itīs many pictures which seems to be the recipe.

I guess one of the biggest mistakes I made was that I did not adapt to mobile revolution, but I guess there is hard to compete with fb when people log in there every day to see other things than just these groups.

I dont want to scream judgement day, but my loss is severe so far and if this trend continue I guess fb defeated me. And if so, I guess it not only affects me.

So, whats your opinion, and what could be done?
    As I write this I'm also out reading other forums on the subject just so I'm sure I'm giving the correct info. I've run across posts that talk about syncing up Facebook groups with forums so they cross post or something like that like I mentioned in an earlier post. I think this weekend I will dedicate some time to researching this more. It is looking promising.... (I hope).

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    I will personally not go forward with the face book idea. even though I am not anonymous I like the idea that I am . if this site was mine to do with what I will, my decisions would be this : if this is costing me to much of my personal time cut it . if this is costing me money and I am going in the hole , cut it . if this is only breaking even and there is not enough participation cut it . I am not humble enough to say I would keep this thing alive because I love locator's and I love giving them a place to vent . I like you Steve and I love THE CABLEVINE . I do want to see the best for you no matter what you do .
    I appreciate your kind words as always. My mindset is falling in line with what you just described. However, I will give it serious research this weekend and see what I can find.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    it also appears I may be a thread killer ..........
    Sooo. ITS YOU THAT IS DOING THIS.
    yahoo likes this.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I blame everything on Yahoo. Even Killary Clinton.
    yahoo, TheCableVine and daman1 like this.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    whoa now .....putting me in the same sentence as killery is insulting .....LOL hahahahhahha

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I never thought of it like that before. It's so simple. It is Yahoo's fault. All of it.
    Makes so much sense now.
    Last edited by daman1; September 28th, 2016 at 03:35 PM.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Facebook is killing forums.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    I'm faced with a decision. Is the forum worth saving or should I let it die along with the many other forums out there?

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me your feed back.
    Greetings Steve! I have been a 'Viner almost 10 years and have enjoyed every second! I can tell you, without reservation, every active member here appreciates all your efforts giving us this fantastic platform to express ourselves. Many Thanks! Please don't kill our forum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, just sayin.'

-----------------------------------------------------------
    Kramit69, yahoo and daman1 like this.

Years of Experience

Steve I would like to 2nd everything Yahoo and Wing Have said. I love the vine but want what is best for you.
    yahoo, daman1 and Kramit69 like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Steve I would like to 2nd everything Yahoo and Wing Have said. I love the vine but want what is best for you.
    Kramit69 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast