Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you get talked to by your manager?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Did you get talked to by your manager?

I got a request from someone to remove their username and ALL of their posts at their managers request. I'm still thinking about it. I have no problem with removing their username but I'm not too thrilled about removing all of a persons posts at their request. I have always had this forum setup so that people cannot remove posts. There is a reason for that. This forum is powered by the posts. If posts are removed on a whim then what good is this forum? I started this forum, I pay for this forum, and I put a lot of work into this forum. You, the lurker, have no say in how this forum is run.

If any manager out there wants to talk to me about removing posts or any other aspect of this forum, then they need to step up and talk to me. The members of this forum are unable to remove their own posts. Intimidating employees to do something they have no conrtol over is not the way to go. I can be reached through the PM system. If they want to talk to me then PM me and I can send them my phone number. Or, sign up and post your concerns. Other than that, go pound sand. If you do contact me and want to have a discussion about specific posts, have the post ID ready.

If you are sharing confidential information, then that is between you and your company. If you are just talking about everyday business then the managers need to realize that life is tough and don't do anything you don't want the locating public to know about.

I posted earlier about keeping your identity a secret. You can see that post here. If you don't do that and you get in some kind of trouble over what you wrote, that is between you and your manager.

Default Re: Did you get talked to by your manager?

Would you consider identifying what company this manager works for? There's really no real 'confidential' information that is passed down to us lowly locators at USIC. Heck, there's so many ex-SMP employees at Utiliquest and vice-versa, nothing is a secret - we constantly exchange info, especially when exceptionally stupid stuff is involved.
    If they actually approach me I will just request another alias - if you will allow that?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

i assume you are not going to say who this is?????? it is your forum you can do as you please!!!!! it's not like we have any by-laws or charter members to control what you can and can not do ...ha..... i'm curious more than anything????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

It's obvious everyone know who I am. I talk to corporate people from time to time and they mention the site. I have never been asked not to post or be on the site. I believe the main problems they have is people posting company emails on the site. When you think about it company emails really shouldn't be posted for privacy reasons. Talking about an email on here is one thing but posting it may raise a red flag.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The company is USIC. I would rather keep the users name confidential cause I really don't want to make them the center of any trouble that comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    The company is USIC. I would rather keep the users name confidential cause I really don't want to make them the center of any trouble that comes up.
    well said dude. You mean Central Locating Services with a different name AKA USIC? When they mess that name up, then they will pop up with a different one. I still can't believe SM&P which in my opinion had something good going merged with those ASplundh crooks.

hihihihi they are probably checking the employee roster to see if there are any Vegas. I am too smart for that. Please, if there happens to be a Vega out there in Sarasota, don't call him and ask if he posted on the vine and threaten him or her with losing their job for being a member. I made that name up. Just incase. I have a feeling it's CLS in Tampa that contacted Steve. I bet $500 bucks the complainer was from Florida

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TVega View Post
    hihihihi they are probably checking the employee roster to see if there are any Vegas. I am too smart for that. Please, if there happens to be a Vega out there in Sarasota, don't call him and ask if he posted on the vine and threaten him or her with losing their job for being a member. I made that name up. Just incase. I have a feeling it's CLS in Tampa that contacted Steve. I bet $500 bucks the complainer was from Florida
    Why do you think it is CLS in Tampa?

Years of Experience

i'm curious too?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

The managers at USIC are so afraid that if they keep the locator's informed of what is going on they would have a revolt or something stupid. Sure there might be some b...ing but there could be some valuable opinion's out there that would give a different view from the bottom up instead of from the top down. The USIC emails that were posted sure didn't reveal anything that would give our competitor's an advantage. Don't buckle under I didn't serve so the freedom of speech could be squashed by some insecure manager. Keep up the good work, thanks for this site.

I got a better idea. Just do your job and do it well. Do not post emails from the company on here. Any info you get from the company is more than likely privileged info anyway. Watch what you say. And do not drop names. And DO NOT POST DURING WORK HOURS!! Follow these simple rules and problem solved!!!!!
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RoadMap View Post
    I got a better idea. Just do your job and do it well. Do not post emails from the company on here. Any info you get from the company is more than likely privileged info anyway. Watch what you say. And do not drop names. And DO NOT POST DURING WORK HOURS!! Follow these simple rules and problem solved!!!!!
    Good points, and I think if the USIC people follow those basic guidelines there shouldn't be any more trouble from the people upstairs. Posting opinions and discussing technical, job related info is what this site is about.

Though I will say that it really shouldn't matter when you post, regardless of whether it's at work or not. Per 8 hours worked I believe I'm entitled to two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour lunch, all of which are my time to do with what I want.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Exclamation Re: Did you get talked to by your manager?

Quote Originally Posted by big boots mcghee View Post
    Good points, and I think if the USIC people follow those basic guidelines there shouldn't be any more trouble from the people upstairs. Posting opinions and discussing technical, job related info is what this site is about.

Though I will say that it really shouldn't matter when you post, regardless of whether it's at work or not. Per 8 hours worked I believe I'm entitled to two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour lunch, all of which are my time to do with what I want.
    I also think that what has been said is all good points, this is an opinion site and company e-mails and pictures are priviledged to the individual company.
    The only problem that I have with what you have to say is the 15 min / 30 min opinion you have.
    Unless you are working for a unionized company or are a entitlement freak you are not guaranteed any thing more then a lunch.
    In short EVERYONE needs to watch thier back. This is a very trying time and you could find yourself POUNDING SAND if your not careful how you use this web site.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locateforlife View Post
    The only problem that I have with what you have to say is the 15 min / 30 min opinion you have.
    Unless you are working for a unionized company or are a entitlement freak you are not guaranteed any thing more then a lunch.
    My bad. You're right. I thought at one time I saw that it was a federal law that employers were required to give breaks and meal periods depending on how many hours an employee worked. After doing a little homework it appears that it's not federal law to allow any type of break, though states vary with their labor laws regarding break and meal times that employers are required to allow. So I guess I will have to watch what I do during work hours.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I believe this is all up to the individual. Sure there is a common sense philosophy you should follow that would apply to most everyone. Other than that if you pull over and check the site no matter what time of day it is, that is an individual judgment based on the atmosphere in your company.

My boss knows I run this site and he really doesn't care. I've tried to get him to come here several times but he isn't really an internet guy. Either way, what you do should be based on common sense. I'm not going to encourage anyone to put their job in jeopardy just so my site can have an extra visitor or two. But, I also want to contradict myself for a second and say that if you feel your job might be in jeopardy then become anonymous so you can keep coming back on your own time.

Posting privileged information is really a judgment call on your part. This isn't the NY Times but they jump at a chance to post privileged information whenever they can. So, I'm not really worried about any backlash legally from that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast